• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Job Centre aren't too caring

I

indelible

Sorry about my long absence. Life has been pretty stressful and I find it very difficult not to worry a lot, which is mostly what I have been doing over the past few weeks.

At the moment, I'm on Job Seeker's Allowance. I'm about to finish a training program and I'll be back on the 6 step program. Sadly for me, my condition - which I shan't discuss for the time being as it is still being batted around by GPs with no actual diagnosis - is really putting a downer on this for me. I asked my GP to provide me a letter for the Job Centre stating that certain types of employment dealing with the public were not suitable for me. When I told the Job Centre about this arrangement, they basically commented that if I need that sort of support and guidance, and if my condition is that debilitating, I should not be on JSA. I was told to contact Citizens Advice to talk about Employment and Support Allowance.

I did some reading (something I do a lot) to calm me down (as I had wound myself up to the point of sickness) and I found that ESA comes with a whole package of support to help guide people back into suitable employment. Perfect, I thought. Upon doing more reading, I find that in order to claim ESA, you cannot be entitled to JSA. I have no idea what the means.

Needless to say - I'm here to ask for some guidance that I can't get anywhere else. I want to apply for ESA as the worst that can happen is I get put back on to JSA. What should I do? I've mulled over the issue for hours in my head and all I can think of doing is going to my GP and getting a sick note to present to the job centre. Could someone help me out? I'm in a real pickle. I fear that if I don't do this, I could find myself without money or a home very soon. I have already been told that I need to go and prove I'm still getting JSA if I want to keep my other benefits so I'm really on edge at the moment :s

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
ESA is the replacement for incapacity benefit so may be more suitable for you.The job centre should have advisors themselves to help with this.
I hope you manage to sort this out it sounds like its becoming an obstacle course.
Kp

D

Dollit

To be eligible for Job Seekers Allowance you have to be fit and able for any suitable work. I have a nickel allergy that prevents me from working with money and that has never stopped me from claiming in the past. However if you do change benefits to ESA and have access to the the DRO (if they're still called that) you can bypass the criteria that they lay down. And let's face it they wouldn't send an underweight person for a job a labourer so they surely have to realise that there is some sort of flexibility allowed.

I used to work for Social Security and sometimes you really want to help people and you're just not allowed to.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K doctors request ignored by job centre. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
snowcanwait Job update Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Funnyday I want a job Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
J Freelancer job obstacles + other dillemas Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
C I think I just quit my job. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Lone_wanderer Think I am going to have to get a job. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
My_Second_Chance Quit Job After 18 days. Left It Off CV. Advice Needed RE P45 and Future Employment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
F New job and anxiety problem Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
shaky Job Interview - failed Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
shaky Signed u fora job - starts Monday Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
shaky Anxious, but applied for a job Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
H Looking for a new job? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
valleygirl Job Interview Today Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
Pixie1974 Left my job Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
M Get a job or wait till I'm medicated/see a counsellor. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
D job claims?.. help? advice? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
student12 Job hunting and interviews are a real bitch Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
S job seeking at the dwp Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
P Job offer and work programme adviser Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
S New Job Advice / occupational health Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
U Applying to job after job after job... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 20
Seashell Applying for job, should I declare mental illness?? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
Z How to get another job after quiting? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
T Should I take a summer class or look for a 2nd job or do both? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
F Dismissed from my dead-end job due to MHI Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
M Can't cope with stress in my job - don't know what to do Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
C Can I attend a job interview while claiming ESA? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
katya Trauma is affecting my job as a teacher (*trigger warning*) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
R About to lose my job-help? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
BillFish Just got a f***king Job lol! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
L Why aren't job adverts transparent? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
M Voluntary Job Issue Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
A Out of the military, out of a job, no rent money for next month Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
B dyslexia.... has ruined myself esteem... to get job.... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
T Panicking about job Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 16
I full time job and monthly appointments Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
F husband's job Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
TheSilence So, probably losing my job next week. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
A ~ I really need to get a P/T job ~ Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
bert tomato I refused the job at final interview. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
M Started a job today and going downhill Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
worrymuffin new job Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
G Just started new job, gone off sick and ? going to hand notice in. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
N Universal Job Match - Do NOT sign! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 17
A need advice - making a declaration on a job application Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
ABsea new job..yet again Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
M Depression due to the job Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
L Getting A Job While On DLA - what would happen, ie, how do you go about trying out work? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
W Losing my job?! Please help Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
ABsea i might lose my job Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3