• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

job application forms- advice needed

S

strawberrygurl803

hi, i am applying for work. my history includes a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Diosrder,trauma issues and OCD. i have periods when i am fine and seem like there is nothing wrong with me and other times i freak out, fly into panic or rage. Much of this anxiety and trouble to do with interacting with people is because i had a traumatic childhood with lots of conflict and abuse.

i took years getting a degree at University because i had so many episodes of illness and it disrupted my studies, relationships etc, but i have the degree and am a very capable person. i have made lots of progress and part of me feels i should not disclose my condition on application forms for jobs because i don't think i will need any special adjustments made when i work, but i still have tendancy to be unable to cope with stress and when i freak out other peoples' reactions to me are negative. Should i explain this illness to potential employers and risk being considered unemployable or should i hide it and risk getting the sack if i become ill at work?

i have moved into new area and no longer have CPN. a few weeks ago i started a "Moving On" course with Shaw Trust but became ill again and the tutor removed me from the course. So i don't know where to turn to regards disclosure. Any help please?:confused:

dib4uk

dib4uk

hi, i am applying for work. my history includes a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Diosrder,trauma issues and OCD. i have periods when i am fine and seem like there is nothing wrong with me and other times i freak out, fly into panic or rage. Much of this anxiety and trouble to do with interacting with people is because i had a traumatic childhood with lots of conflict and abuse.

i took years getting a degree at University because i had so many episodes of illness and it disrupted my studies, relationships etc, but i have the degree and am a very capable person. i have made lots of progress and part of me feels i should not disclose my condition on application forms for jobs because i don't think i will need any special adjustments made when i work, but i still have tendancy to be unable to cope with stress and when i freak out other peoples' reactions to me are negative. Should i explain this illness to potential employers and risk being considered unemployable or should i hide it and risk getting the sack if i become ill at work?

i have moved into new area and no longer have CPN. a few weeks ago i started a "Moving On" course with Shaw Trust but became ill again and the tutor removed me from the course. So i don't know where to turn to regards disclosure. Any help please?:confused:
The only person who can say weather your "job ready" is yourself and not the DWP or any governement officals.... As for disclosing information, thats up to you, but remember what would happen if you slipped and had a crises? would an employer know what to do even?

Personality disorders are really hard for the individual to understand let alone the govermental departments that are MEANT to be there to help us, let alone private employers who have no idea what it really means to have a personality disorder.

I see what your saying, and when it comes down to it stress- of working is a big negatvie, and thats something that I've got to cope with and face.

Sanity vs stress of working.

Which to choose from?

Ps. as for the lack of CPN can you not ask in your local doctors for one???

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

I think it's best that you are honest with a potential employer. If they found out about your mental health issues after they employed you then they could terminate your employment for not disclosing it on the application form and/or interview. Also, it's important for an employer to know so that they can make the necessary adjustments and give you the correct support.

S

strawberrygurl803

re: job apps

thanks for reply. i think you are right, Razorblade- i don't feel ready even for part-time work, although i have been doing voluntary work with my church one morning a week. the environment there is supportive and they know me. i am having CBT at the moment to work on the "acting-out" symptoms and anxiety. in meantime i am applying for ESA to tide me over money-wise. :drool:

S

strawberrygurl803

personality disorders not understood

i think you're right Dib4UK regarding personality disorders not being understood. i dealt with it in personal relationships by posting weblinks on my Facebook to BPD Resources and their Helen's BPD Page. a couple of my friends were interested and did read those links. Not sure i'd have courage to do that with someone i didn't really know well though. people in authority can be scary sometimes!