Jeremy Corbyn creates Shadow Mental Health minister

T

Taffy

Ah thanks.... was looking for it earlier... thought it was up your sleeve or summat.:)

I think he is actually appointing people in the shadow Cabinet who give a stuff about their areas... now that's a bit refreshing.... and a dedicated Minister imo... it's a good step forward... and she (LB) is hardly a "Red under the bed":)

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Article says

Mr Corbyn spent his first day as leader attending a fundraiser organised by his local NHS mental health trust. He was criticised in the press for attending the event in lieu of a planned appearing on BBC One’s The Andrew Marr Show.
Well! Interesting times, yes :) (although, fundraiser? What is the NHS mental health provision now, a charity? :confused:)

Eta: ah, ok a 'fun day', an annual community engagement event, not so much a fundraiser perhaps Jeremy Corbyn spent his first morning as leader visiting his local NHS mental health trust - UK Politics - UK - The Independent I like that he honoured a previous commitment.

Kerome

Kerome

Agreed he did well to attend the event, and the press as usual don't know what they are talking about.

A mental health minister eh, not a bad move I don't think. It's something that does concern an awful lot of people, not just current patients.

N

notrealname

Thank you Jeremy. Excellent move, not only for people with mental health problems, but for the economy and society as a whole. I hope that Jeremy does not shy away from talking about the economic benefits of this in the fear of sounding too 'Tory', because I do think they are very important. With a fitter, healthier workforce, we will be more productive and have fewer sickness absences. I am very left-wing and a Corbyn supporter, but I don't there's any reason to hide the fact this has many benefits beyond the humane ones (which are, of course, equally important). I was surprised not to see it mentioned in the article, but I think having a cost-benefit analysis and showing how improvements to mental health care will eventually pay for themselves will help him argue back to his opponents.

H

Harper

I am really encouraged by Jeremy. He has ignored the other arse creepers advising that you almost have to look as though you are a tory and to not be making any waves to become an accepted labour leader. Ed Milliband was as bland as flower and water and if he had been voted in, it would have just been a watered down version of the Tory party.

I note also for the first time in a long time that Arthur Scarsgill is back on the box. I do not think the timing of this is coincidental.

Great about the Mental Health Minister appointment.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i get a tenth as much spent on me in the community as would be spent on me in hospital and even that people resent me getting, nice if that would change