• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

January review and work.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I'm seeing my doctor this month for my 6 month review and I'm hoping that he will reduce my medication from 650mg down to 600mg. I've been on 650mg ( down from 700mg ) since last April and it's made the world of a difference. My heart rate still increases when taking my evening dosage of 450mg and it makes me feel anxious but the main thing is that my eyes are no longer bloodshot and the effects of this level off after a couple of hours.

I have been getting up the past few days ( except Sunday ) between 8am - 8.45am and I'm feeling the benefit of this. I've also been taking my evening medication at 10pm instead of 12am in order to make this possible. I still go to bed around midnight but I wake a lot easier and this is what enables me to get out of bed and get dressed. Now I have more hours in my day and it's definitely having a positive effect on the emotional side. I used to feel really ticked off when I used to wake p between 11am and 1pm and then curse myself for wasting half my day - even though I had a good reason :D.

As for part-time therapeutic work, I've been told that I can only do this for 1 year ( was 2 ) before I have to go in to full time - if it works out that is. I keep on asking myself why they feel the need to put a limit on this type of work when everyone's case is different. I may need a few years of part-time therapeutic work before I can go full time as it will depend on how my medication affects the amount of hours I can do in a day and the performance factor is another thing to consider. It really should be unlimited on how many years you can work therapeutic because setting a limit feels like just another excuse to get someone who is completely entitled to being on benefit back in to full-time work ( even before they are ready ). It comes across as punishing someone for trying to do some work to help improve their condition and further recovery. I'm not against trying full-time work in the future if my symptoms improve and the medication is reduced but to force someone back beforehand is just plain wrong - why can't it be unlimited ?

Another matter regarding benefits is having a safety net if things don't work out ( going back on to Incapacity ). Now I remember discussing this in another topic a while back and someone said that I can make arrangements to do this - even someone on my assertive outreach said this is true. I will discuss this with my doctor as well. If I can make these arrangements when I have to go full-time then that is great and will reduce the pressure somewhat. Someone from mind is looking in to the details of this for me as well. But why don't these people volunteer such information :confused: ? I would've been none the wiser if someone here hadn't told me. The support that the government are going to provide for those that have been unemployed long term is a good thing too but I hope that this is not just going to be another excuse to get those with genuine problems back in to work full-time.

What does everyone here think to all of this ?

J

jamesdean

I only have read this last part of your thread but all I can say is I wouldnt trust this goverment to make me a cup of tea has far has tony blair was concerned or gordon no :D brown though I think mandy might just be ok, I loved maggie thatcher and excuse if you thing I was wrong but these days I'm lokking more n more at whot nick cleg has to say I should be with the liberal democrats really but I cannot help liking david cameron hes got the most charisma becuase they say its about personality and some thing attracts me to his smile:D he does seem genuine to me I would be the first in the qeue to return to work it dosent frighten me I would love to work but I really doudt that I could go to work and maintain a job and mange my conditions and a have a home life and be ok, Though I had a teriable experince with remploy and I self referred n were treated very cold and unempathetic, so my fears are very real.
Good luck in the things that you do and if I hear about things I will post and let others know about my experiences take care best wishes JD

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Officially if you start work and it doesn't work out you can get your benefits back for up to a year in work , what they don't tell people is you have to arrange it before you start work, thats what i've heard

D

Danage

Officially if you start work and it doesn't work out you can get your benefits back for up to a year in work , what they don't tell people is you have to arrange it before you start work, thats what i've heard
Thanks, I'll have to do that before I start part-time work after I move out.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I only have read this last part of your thread but all I can say is I wouldnt trust this goverment to make me a cup of tea has far has tony blair was concerned or gordon no :D brown though I think mandy might just be ok, I loved maggie thatcher and excuse if you thing I was wrong but these days I'm lokking more n more at whot nick cleg has to say I should be with the liberal democrats really but I cannot help liking david cameron hes got the most charisma becuase they say its about personality and some thing attracts me to his smile:D he does seem genuine to me I would be the first in the qeue to return to work it dosent frighten me I would love to work but I really doudt that I could go to work and maintain a job and mange my conditions and a have a home life and be ok, Though I had a teriable experince with remploy and I self referred n were treated very cold and unempathetic, so my fears are very real.

I never liked it when Labour got in way back in 1997, I just had a bad feeling about them and of course they have proved me right. I will be voting Conservative, just as I have always done over the past decade. David Cameron does put a good energy out there together with enthusiasm and he also comes up with some great ideas. I get the feeling that he can't wait to get voted in because to me, he just wants to get stuck in and start sorting things out. He does seem quite genuine and likeable too.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Remploy and I know how it feels to be treated that way, but I do recommend TNG instead:

http://www.tng.uk.com/

Good luck in the things that you do and if I hear about things I will post and let others know about my experiences take care best wishes JD
Thank you and the same to you (y).

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Ok - great, thanks for letting me know (y).

D

Danage

I never liked it when Labour got in way back in 1997, I just had a bad feeling about them and of course they have proved me right.
I had that feeling too, but probably only because, at the time, I had live my entire life under a Conservative Government, and never under a Labour Government.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I had that feeling too, but probably only because, at the time, I had live my entire life under a Conservative Government, and never under a Labour Government.
It's the same for me, Conservative government was in power back when I was born onwards until 1997 - I guess it's natural to be cautious of change though, but something was nagging me that some negative changes were coming that year once Blair became PM.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I almost forgot, I had my review on Monday and my medication is going to be reduced from 650mg down to 600mg of Seroquel. That's a total of 100mg reduction in one year, I'm rather pleased with that because the last time I was reduced to 650mg I had a "blip" and had to stop volunteering. Hopefully this means that recovery is ongoing and with the recent reduction the side effects will lessen.

There's a bit of news about Seroquel as the developers have now released a "slow release" version of the medication - the Doctor has also put me on to this as well so it means that I will no longer get the nasty overload of racing heart problems I've been having when taking my evening dosage. I think that's been the problem with regards to my sleeping problems - who can get to sleep when their heart is racing for a few hours, eh ?

D

Danage

Good luck, I hope it works for you.

It's the same for me, Conservative government was in power back when I was born onwards until 1997 - I guess it's natural to be cautious of change though, but something was nagging me that some negative changes were coming that year once Blair became PM.
I agree, we are naturally cautious of something new. The thing with Blair (or Bliar, B-liar), was that he was Labour, and I didn't like him because he was with a different party. There was no other reason than that. I still don't like him now.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Good luck, I hope it works for you.
Thank you :).

I agree, we are naturally cautious of something new. The thing with Blair (or Bliar, B-liar), was that he was Labour, and I didn't like him because he was with a different party. There was no other reason than that. I still don't like him now.
Bliar - lol, I like that one. I remember part of his speech from 1997 with him saying, "It's time to stop thinking, it's time to do." - well they sure did do some bad things :D once they got in didn't they ? Which explains the shivers I got when those words were spoken :eek:.

D

Danage

Thank you :).
You're welcome.

Bliar - lol, I like that one.
I thought someone would. I'm glad you liked it.

I remember part of his speech from 1997 with him saying, "It's time to stop thinking, it's time to do." - well they sure did do some bad things :D once they got in didn't they ? Which explains the shivers I got when those words were spoken :eek:.
Blair/Bliar also said he would focus on 'education, education, education', and he didn't do anything about it apart from make the education system worse.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Blair/Bliar also said he would focus on 'education, education, education', and he didn't do anything about it apart from make the education system worse.
I know, I was one of the lucky ones who had enrolled with university the year before so I didn't have any tuition fees to pay and got my grant each term. I felt so sorry for those the year after who would've been entitled if things had been left alone and probably ruined some potential chances for those who lived with a low-income family background.

D

Danage

College life now.

I know, I was one of the lucky ones who had enrolled with university the year before so I didn't have any tuition fees to pay and got my grant each term. I felt so sorry for those the year after who would've been entitled if things had been left alone and probably ruined some potential chances for those who lived with a low-income family background.
I am in a low-income single-parent family, and I am at college in Worcester. The grant is about £2700, which covers the college fees of £2500 (which is to include such things as paying for tuition, which, with one lecturer (I had a lot of her last year, and now, in the second year re-sit, I have her one hour a week, thank goodness), was, and is, non-existent), but that only leaves £200, plus a £750 bursary. The Maintenance Grant (the £2700) pays the fees just fine, don't get me wrong. I just could do with a bit more to tide me over the year.

Mind you, I do get about £250 from DLA a month, but that isn't much to help my family with. I have to eat into my personal savings on occasion to help my mother with her shopping and things like that (including getting a replacement TV and a laptop to replace the not very good computer I got her for Christmas 2007).

There are student loans, but I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life, so I opt to use my personal savings to help me through the year. It's a tough world.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I remember new labour promising a user friendly dhss, thats one thing i remember every time i get a letter, now they've got the tory vote and don't need people on benefits they've totally betrayed that, to this day letters are unsigned and when your called in the person interviewing you refuses to give their name

GUess i've got a fixation on the benefit system

I'll have to look into slow release with my tablets, i get racing heartbeat as well