• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I've just had a terrible thought re Universal Credit

E

english rose

At the moment I am not getting any DWP benefits, this is because I am in the process of appealing to the Upper Tribunal to get my ESA reinstated & backdated; however I am still receiving housing benefit & so am able to pay my rent, as of course HB is paid by the local council. Now if there was UC then surely in my position I'd get nothing at all & wouldn't be able to pay my rent & would be evicted....?:eek:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

You'd still get your housing benefits, surely?
I can't give you a certain answer but I can't see why your housing benefit wouldn't turn into UC.

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

As long as you are on a low income and/or on income related benefits such as JSA, you can get housing benefit and in theory this would be the same for universal credit. So you would get your housing benefit component but it would be labelled as part of universal credit.

Here is a website detailing the proposed timetable for implementing universal credit. Although objections to the costs spiralling and projected savings being miscalculated are still being raised in parliament so there may be further delays to this scheme.

Universal Credit Timetable

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i think housing benefit it's included in universal credit. so if you appeal and your benefits aren't paid while you appeal you could lose it, it hasn't happened yet, and it's conjecture, universal credit i'm told in my area will only apply to single people without disabilities to they roll it out further

E

english rose

I wonder if UC will be scrapped if Labour win the General Election.

If I wasn't getting my HB right now then I don't know what I'd do.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I wonder if UC will be scrapped if Labour win the General Election.

If I wasn't getting my HB right now then I don't know what I'd do.
saw the head of the think tank behind universal credit,on tv, he said ttheres a cross party concensus on it, you can dream labour would be different i have doubts

E

english rose

My rent/HB is £135 pw - so more than what I need/get to live on, so more important than any DWP benefit.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
My rent/HB is £135 pw - so more than what I need/get to live on, so more important than any DWP benefit.
i think i'd struggle to live on 135 eveen with rent paid, i've got an unfirnished flat so have to pay if the washing machine fridge break down, maybe it's the same with you, i get dla middle rate care, when it's transferred to pip i might not pass, then i'll be on 135 around

E

english rose

i think i'd struggle to live on 135 eveen with rent paid, i've got an unfirnished flat so have to pay if the washing machine fridge break down, maybe it's the same with you, i get dla middle rate care, when it's transferred to pip i might not pass, then i'll be on 135 around
The cooker & fridge came with the flat & so are the landlord's responsibility.