I've developed a fear of walking the streets.at night

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I have some trash that I should have taken out last night but since the shooting I've been afraid to go out in the relative darkness for whatever reason. This is odd to me as I'm neither afraid of the dark nor hoodlums. I also have no fear of death. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is so.

S

spiritfriend

I think it's a natural instinct maybe. I think it has to do with the shooting. It's the fear of the unknown. Not knowing who is out there in the dark. What they're planning to do with you.

How are things going on over there by the way? Have they found out who did all of the shooting?

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I don't think they found out who did it. The preliminary findings were that it was his girlfriend. That's the odd thing though, I'm not afraid of the people that hang around in the dark. This neighborhood pales in comparison to my adventures wandering about in the ghetto in Atlanta. There were frequent gun shots heard there including machine gun fire. Many a time I was very nearly robbed. I guess I felt safer then because I carried a gun. I did used to carry one here as well but I sold my handgun a week before the shooting. I still have my shotgun "loaded for bear" as they call it. Anyone who busts in my house has a .61 caliber slug waiting for them. But I obviously cant take my shotgun out in the streets.

N

natalie

Not surpising. Nighttime being particularly darker at night, one can't be more safely alert and vigilant unlike durign the daytime. Even here in London, and I always had t hought, that the Police either in the States if i may say, or here in London if i may say, have a potential duty of deed to safely protect and security of public, away, from potential criminal incidents, being, guns, shop burgarllys, or anything else I can't think off to hand at present.

Now if the Police are not able to, withouit sufficient extra funding, then we the public, must instigate more, to keep fellow publicans secure and safe via our streets particular late at night, and earlier in the early hours when it is darker, and probably, i wouldn't be at all surprised, not too much better street lighting to help public be aware more also.

N

natalie

I have just learned indireclty via on line, whilst on line, the terrible events, in the US, country, via in NY, I feel most for the folks via MHF, and hope that folks via MHF, are not suffering too terribly by this terrible incident, which i am unsure whether if it has been confirmed, what I think it might be and i would rather not say just yet, in case.

If you are at all anxious or paranoia, please do keep posting to let us know how you all are, we are here for support and hopefully advice, to give, I am sure there must be helplines set up now out there, for this purpose related to this incident.

Hopefully take care, and try to keep normally mental health well,

Natalie, in UK.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I wont think I will ever travel to NY. It is an awful place. I live in Georgia and there are street lights that lead to the garbage dumpster but even still they don't comfort me. Idk why i have this phobia. I'm not afraid of walking thru the forest at night, which I have done before when I lived in the country. I always carry a knife, a rather large one actually. I've been thinking of buying a large hunting knife to carry at night. Maybe that will make me feel safer. I hold a concealed weapons license so I shouldn't have any legal problems by doing so.

B

Boring

NY isn't as bad as you think. i live in the Bronx. but then again, i've always lived one or two blocks from a police station.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Yeah I guess its the same as anywhere else just bigger and with the large size there is proportionately more crime. Idk I have just always heard the horror stories and such. I guess I should have more of an open mind about it. Just that a guy from a small town in north Georgia doesn't really have a desire to go to such a large city.

B

Boring

lol. keep in mind that people like me used to risk their lives, to find freedom in the Northern states like New York. XD