• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I've been told I might have bipolar...

K

kurotoao

I have been (and still am) treated for psychosis for the past month or so. I'm having home treatment, alternative to hospitilization (I'm so glad) and have been given olanzapine, as treament.
Within this time I have been visited by a doctor. The last visit, he said I might have bipolar and I should read about it.

I was wondoring on how anyone of you got diagnosed with bipolar?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya, Not sure I agree with your avatar name, I bet you are not a miserablecow. I was diagnosed over 3 years ago, but had symptoms all my life. Its just that the episodes got closer together and more intense as I aged. I have also had psychotic episodes, some weren't too bad and some were really scary.

I really understand how frightening it can be to be diagnosed with this. Unlike some on here who are anti meds, I actually think they are really helpful to alleviate the worst of the symptoms. Nothing will make them go away totally, but you can l ive with them if under some control.

I haven't been on Olanzepine, I'm on Quetiapine. I would suggest if he has diagnosed you then you will need more than an anti psychotic. A mood stabiliser should be offered too.

But remember, all meds do is put the worst on hold, you can work on yourself to read your changes and have a network involved in helping you when you seem to be about to flip. For me, insight into my emotions is no good, but I have learnt to monitor my behaviour. For instance, if I start sleeping on the sofa, staying up till 3 am, cleaning frenetically all over the house, etc these are the warning shots over the bows. My daughter will move and quickly get hold of one of the MH team.

Don't be afraid, a lot of us have been there and we can support you through this.

C

Callalily

I was diagnosed two years ago and like calypso I can't remember a time when I didn't have symptoms. I found the diagnosis a mix of despair and relief that there was a name for it.

How do you feel about the diagnosis? Did the doctor say much about it, did he explain why he came to that diagnosis?

When I was diagnosed, my psychiatrist recommended I read Bipolar Disorder: The Ultimate Guide. I found it a really useful book. It is in the style of frequently asked questions and these are answered either by people who have bipolar or who have experience of it.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Its a really good book. The authors are called Sarah Owen and Amanda Saunders. They both had relatives with bipolar and the whole book is from the person's perspective, not the doctors. Highly recommend it.

K

kurotoao

I tend not to be miserable person, but sometimes I'm called that as a joke, which i don't mind.

I've always been pro medication, but believe it isn't the answer to anything. I am upset that there is another health issue to add to my (on-going list, as it seems') list.

I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar as just yet, but only told me that I might have it. As I apparently experienced a manic episode with psychotic symtoms. I really want a diagnoses really quickly, but I know it can take time. I know that some symptoms attatch to other conditions. The doctor also mention mood stablizers and that in the near future I might have to take them.

At the moment, my body feels like a zombie and I'm not buzzed as I was before.

K

kurotoao

The thing is the doctor didn't say I have it, but said I might have it and I should read up on it. I think with my recvent psychosis, and my passed he came to the conclision that i moght have it. To be honest I don't really remember if he said I do or I might have the disorder. In a way it is a relief. I did tell a friend about my symptoms and she said it sounded like bipolar, burt then again it caqn be someting else.

Thanks...I'll sure have a look.

R

randomjedi

Told the story before, but since you asked ;) :

I had a slow-burn breakdown over a period of 6-7 months with some chronic cycling, triggered by serious work stress.
Waited until I really couldn't cope any more and went to my GP, who initially gave me anti-D's which killed the depressive phases but exacarbated my hypomania (sent me high as a kite).
Finally my wife had enough, barged in on my appointment and told my GP the full story, so I got referred. After a long chat and a review of my symptoms, and coming off the anti-D's, I was diagnosed BP2.
Made a lot of sense given the way I'd been since a teen and my family history of mental illness.

Somehow I managed to keep both my job and my family, but it was touch-and-go at points.

Hope you get the right diagnosis to get you the proper help you deserve :)

K

kurotoao

I hope so too and thank you for sharing your story :)