• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I've been having awful anxiety attacks

T

telemetry9

I've been having awful anxiety attacks. I'm so scared of them I'm afraid to even write this down. They really scare me and I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't learned to control my breathing some years ago on an anxiety management course.

The fear of losing control of my breathing is so great that sometimes it overwhelms me in a wave of terror that I can't control. I've only recently started having these after some years without them.

I feel very alone in this as I can't talk to my family about it because they don't understand. I have had to go to hospital and had to phone an ambulance one night. As times goes on I think I am regaining control but the fear is there. I usually go to youtube to watch some music video or listen to songs or music in my head to stop the thoughts that become relentlessly cruel. I have a lot of fear and exhaustion and sense of battling through every day.

I'm glad I managed to write this down. My faith also helps me.

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Sorry to hear you are suffering with anxiety attacks :hug:

Has something in particular upset you recently? Unable to think of anything else right now, hope you will soon be feeling much better.:)

T

telemetry9

Thank you Libra.

I can't think of anything that has upset me. I've been worrying about changes to Benefits a lot and I think I need to let go of that. I have to go to another "assessment" with two CBT therapists at the same time (is this normal?) and I haven't had very good experiences of counselling and stuff of late. I'm worried it will be a disaster but feel I have to go. I will try and think positively.

Thank you for your kind words and I hope you are doing well.

Thank you.(())

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I hope you are feeling better now Telemetry.
KP

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi Telemetry,

I think one of the Therapists may be a Physio,that's what happened in my experience and I found her quite helpful,good luck with it.

T

telemetry9

Thank you so much guys.

Feel better tonight although still worried bout my breathing but I seem to have more control tonight.

I went to the park this afternoon just to get out and walk about and that helped a lot. I think I need to look at my medication. (amitriptyline).

But I want to thank you for taking the time to respond because i've been very alone in this. Your comments have helped a great deal.

robert.

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi telemetry9, glad to hear you got some fresh air today - that was positive action :)

I don't know anything about the assessment etc, but just be yourself, and take your time in answering any questions and if you don't understand a question or instruction then ask them kindly to repeat it. They are there to help you. I am sure you will be ok :)

I also take amitriptyline 25 sometimes 35mgs at nighttime to help with my chronic pain, and keep me asleep! Pm me if you want to ask anything about it.
Take care and let us know how you are doing tomorrow ok? :hug:

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Hi, just read about your plight. Hope you're feeling much better now mate?

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi telemetry9, have been wondering about you - if you are feeling better, and how did the assessment go?

Hope you are able to post soon :) Take care:hug:

S

Stevey88

Hi I've just recently started having bad panic attacks. 1 of the first things I've learnt is that no matter how hard you try to not breathe, or stop breath. You can't. Your body is designed to be alive, not dead. It will breathe for itself if you can't :)