• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

It's not working... Depression and anxiety need help

R

Ronnyjanzen

I'm tired of every second going by feeling depressed. I lost joy in hobbies and I'm in the process of trying a few antidepressants. I'm on my 4th one with no luck. I have GAD as well I tried to go to the walk-in in clinic to talk to the doctor about trying a new med but there were 60 people in the waiting room I had a panic attack and left. I've tried diet and exercise, vitamin d I spent over 1500 dollars on suppliments....no luck . I'm losing hope I haven't tried all medications but I'm at my wits end....it's hard to believe I'll find a med that will actually make things bright again. I would love to hear any stories you may have had? What med finally clicked with u? Did u have to try 10 different ones ... I wish everyone gets well!

Bod

Bod

Welcome to the forum Ronnyjanzen, sorry that you are struggling at this time and trying different antidepressants the one I am taking at the moment that my GP doctor gave me is Sertraline 100mg and at the moment it is helping me as it's just taking the edge off my depression and anxiety and on the rest I have to do my self by setting things to do sort of list. Like walking our dog every morning for a few hours and cleaning the flat and then login here and just talk.

R

Ronnyjanzen

That's great that you have found help. Ur enjoying life much better now? Gives me hope. Is setraline the same as Zoloft? I have major depressive disorder with GAD. I have been struggling for a few years maybe an SSRI isn't what I need maybe cymbalta or an older antidepressant will work. I'm barley hanging on it feels like I won't find anything to take away this and I'm doomed

Bod

Bod

There is HOPE for all of us it is just how we have to totally change our outlook on life, some of us are born depressed for some reason unbeknown to me and others get depressed for lifes traumas and we then have to learn with help how to control those feelings and thoughts.

Bod

Bod

Maybe have a talk with your doctor about it, as they might be able give you a better idea.

S

SadRainbow

I understand how you're feeling - meds are not helping me and I feel weary thinking about having to try another one... Currently on Venlafaxine. I should find out soon if my dose is going to be increased. It's really difficult that we have to go through such a slow, hit or miss process to find the right medication for each of us.

Are you seeing a counsellor or therapist? It's a good idea to do that as well as meds.

R

Ronnyjanzen

Thanks for sympathizing. I tried venlafaxine but didn't get much benefit. We may have to try one of the older trcyclic antidepressants or maio inhibitor s. I've heard of people having good luck with those. I currently have no phych but I'm trying to get one

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I've tried Sertraline (Zoloft), Escitalam (Lexapro), Venlafaxine (Effexor), Moclobemide (a reversible MAOI), Tramadol, Ritalin, and various benzodiazepines.

Big, fat MEH.

R

Ronnyjanzen

What is your diagnosises? Are you still trying different meds? The ones I've tried are celexa, venlafaxine, prozac, Lexapro, mirtazapine and Vyvanse which same here big fat MEH. I will admit tho celexa which was the first SSRI I used did help alot but that only lasted a few years.... I'm still trying new ones. Next I want to give cymbalta and than a few older trcyclic antidepressants a try maybe even paxil

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

My diagnoses are depression (constant, severe and for around 15 years, with the main issue being chronic boredom, lack of interest in anything and inability to enjoy things), GAD (constant, severe and for almost 40 years since I was 4, with feelings of dread, fear and an ominous sense of impending doom), cPTSD, PTSD, mild OCD, BPD with high antisocial traits, and possible ADHD.

I pretty much think that no antidepressants help me because of (1) my depression is directly caused by my GAD. The ONLY med that has lifted my anxiety well also took away the depression at the same time, and that was Xanax, and (2) the BPD complicates things as I'm constantly so bored and empty, no matter what I do. Either that or I'm very emotionally unstable but less bored.

I forgot to add to my med list above Lamictal. Unfortunately that had no effect either. It, like all the antidepressants AND the Ritalin included, just made me even more apathetic and bored, dull and unmotivated.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Hi Ron

Sorry to hear what your going through. You are not untypical.

SSRI obviously don't do it for you so an SNRI would be the most logical choice. Venlafaxine is classed as SNRI but it is very close to being SSRI. Duloxetine (cymbalta) worth trying.

For folk who don't respond to either, a MAOI would very probably work. The only drawback is no cheese or red wine

S

Serene

I am on desvenlafaxine anti depressant. It will not feel it's doing much but it keeps you from going into severe dumps. When you will be in real dumps taking it will significantly make you feel happier. However, when you are in the stable mode you will not feel much difference. That's why you feel it's not doing its work. I haven't experimented. I haven't felt the need to. I don't say I am super happy all the time. But I know I have been worse and so this is a blessing to be normal. It doesn't get better than this, besides we need to create things ourselves as well. Doing what makes you happy ample of time will help too!