• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

it's me

D

dewdrop

Hi everyone. This is the first time I have joined a mental health forum despite suffering from depression on and off for the last 25 years. I am on a bad run at the moment after my youngest child went off to university and left me and my husband trying to hold our failing marriage together. I just returned to work yesterday after a few weeks off and found it a real struggle. Anyway, I could probably go on forever but as an introduction I think that covers it.

TiredTina

TiredTina

Admin
:welcome: to mhf dewdrop. Sorry to hear that things are tough at the moment, hope you find the forum helpful.

TT

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Dewdrop and welcome to the forum. It's obviously not an easy time for you so I hope you find some support and help here. :hug1:

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

hello and welcome to the forums

mami5

mami5

Hi dewdrop and welcome. Sorry you're struggling so much. Hope you manage to make friends here and get some support. :hug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi DewDrop and :welcome: to the forum.

I'm using your introduction to answer your other post in the Depression forum. I hope you don't mind :) I just don't want what you said to be sucked in if you know what I mean.

So here it is....

I have the same issues. I have recently returned to work after being off for a few weeks with depression. My line manager has been good and is devising a support plan for my return but the actual company (the largest in the UK) have shown little understanding. I was told in a meeting yesterday that my absence was 'unacceptable'. I burst into tears when they said that. Surely there should be better understanding for employees suffering from depression. I need support, not recrimination.
Now describing it as one of the biggest companies in the UK makes me think of one of two companies and I work for one of them.

First of all I am glad that you have a understanding Line Manager and a support plan is being put in place. Do you know what might be in it? What makes me wonder is why they have left it so long to sort one out. I had one put in place the day I got back, before I was allowed to do any work.

With your absence review. It is hard words to hear isn't it. I find it tough to hear that my absence is unacceptable and I think the official wording should be changed. In my company they have a official script they have to follow and some of the wording is bad. I'm sorry that it made you feel so bad. Were you offered a break to calm down?

I know it's hard but hold on to the thought that your line manager is being so supportive. You have got the worse part out if the way with the meeting. (What was the outcome?)

Lastly well done for managing to get back to work, I know how hard it is to take that step.

Again, sorry for using your introduction to answer your post. I will make a reply to your actual post to let you know as well.

Marliee x

D

dewdrop

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate you taking the time.
I know you are right about the company having to stick to a script, but if I'd been sat there having just recovered from cancer, would they have told me that it was unacceptable to have taken time off? If the answer is no then they are discriminating against people with mental health issues. If the answer is yes then that is really unbelievable that they would use those terms to someone who has had cancer. Sorry for comparing the two illnesses like this, I am not in any way suggesting that cancer is the same as depression but I am so shocked at the way such a well known company can treat unwell people like this.

My support plan is pretty basic by the way. My shifts have been reduced by one hour for the next four weeks. My line manager has also said that if I get stressed I should take myself off and do some other work 'behind the scenes' until I feel better. This is a lovely idea but impractical as there is often only two of us working on our department and it gets very busy.

Once again, thank you so much for responding.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah they would, well at least they would in my company. Again, it's in the script but then they would most likely make it mitigating.

That's very basic. How do you feel about that? Do you think it's do able?

x

D

dewdrop

I guess only time will tell. My mood etc changes from one day to the next so I'll just have to see how it goes.