It's difficult to smile

M

michelelyn

One thing that keeps my social anxiety alive is the fact the I feel I can't smile when greeting people because my mouth is tense and my lips and/or head feels like its shaking. I feel so tense I can not smile or I'm embarrassed by the shaking. Anyone experience this?

D

dewey

Well I can only do one smile...
that one----> ;) the emoji smile. IRL it's a different story

Yeah I can also physically never smile at people. Maybe cause I don't feel liek it, but I think it's partly a confidence thing because I hate my teeth (they're not straight and shiny white) and my mouth... actually come to think of it I hate my whole face so it's hard for me to even hold eye contact with people let alone smile. Though I have to admit I do find it kind of weird those people who just walk around constantly smiling at people they don't know. I mean how can you be in that much of a good mood all the time to be constantly smiling? Apparently I scowl a lot though and this has been a long running thing since my teenage years and friends have always just made jokes about my facial expressions and how scary they are ahhaha. I guess it doesn't cause too much bother not to be able to have that glowy hollywood smile as when people get to know you they appreciate your personality and your inner 'smile' hahaha or inner doom and gloom and that's what draws them to you ;).

I guess just do you and be yourself and relax and people should like ya anyway. You don't have to be grinning like a cheshire cat to make new friends (though I imagine it helps)

Kirstie1806

Kirstie1806

Yeah I can also physically never smile at people. Maybe cause I don't feel liek it, but I think it's partly a confidence thing because I hate my teeth (they're not straight and shiny white) and my mouth... actually come to think of it I hate my whole face so it's hard for me to even hold eye contact with people let alone smile. Though I have to admit I do find it kind of weird those people who just walk around constantly smiling at people they don't know. I mean how can you be in that much of a good mood all the time to be constantly smiling? Apparently I scowl a lot though and this has been a long running thing since my teenage years and friends have always just made jokes about my facial expressions and how scary they are ahhaha. I guess it doesn't cause too much bother not to be able to have that glowy hollywood smile as when people get to know you they appreciate your personality and your inner 'smile' hahaha or inner doom and gloom and that's what draws them to you ;).

I guess just do you and be yourself and relax and people should like ya anyway. You don't have to be grinning like a cheshire cat to make new friends (though I imagine it helps)
I'm exactly the same, I hate to smile cos I'm so self conscious showing my teeth! It puts me off even talking cos I know people can sometimes see them. There's nothing worse than when you're speaking with someone and they're just looking at your horrible teeth 😑😑

M

michelelyn

Thanks for your reply