• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

It's all about labels.

jajingna

jajingna

A label as a name for an illness is useful to narrow it down for deciding on treatment. If I'm sick then I'm sick no matter what you call it, but the label depression or schizophrenia gives the doctor something to work with, and the patient and family something to go on. "Oh, so that's the problem."

Sometimes the label/diagnosis doesn't mean much. A few years ago they came up with "attenuated psychosis syndrome" as a description for my illness. Guess I looked this up but right now I couldn't say what that means.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Humans have always communicated in language. When language deteriorates so does the world. In today's world, selling tobacco which kills people is called business. Adding artificial enhancers which kill people through diabetes and gives children abnormal weight gain is called business. If you want to see through the storm you need to pay attention to the language you use.

jajingna

jajingna

"The word is not the thing." Not sure who said that, probably lots of people. A label isn't a person. A picture of food isn't a meal either. But menus are useful.