• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

It seems we cant have certain types of jobs...

EdEd

EdEd

According to the internet I cant serve my country in the military , become law enforcement , which are the two things that I've always wanted to do. As far as the States are concerned. This bites.

EdEd

EdEd

I was all like : "Time to pursue my career choices! " the internet: "Nope."

EdEd

EdEd

Hopefully I am wrong , and I am allowed to do one of these things.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
the only jobs schitzos do are low paid jobs though there may be exceptions, i asked my gp he says he knows a patient who works as a lawyer, i said i've heard about him thats really dredging the barrel, i think a lawyers wages you can work part time and live on the money, you can also potentially afford a private place and avoid working and living in social housing

last i heard the community law centre were he works has lost it's grant due to cuts, it's the only free legal place in the borough and they've tightened up on legal aid

C

Cocoa

Hi

I have schizophrenia and I work full time - I'm a manager at a charity. I'm lucky, my work is very supportive and it's hard at times but it's not true in my opinion that the only jobs we can do are low paid ones....

Cocoa

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
manager of a charity we can't all work in charities, and a lof jobs they're not supportive, i've heard said near me we're not a charity

and i never said the only jobs we can do are low paid ones i said in general schitzos are in low paid jobs, that there are exceptions

C

Cocoa

Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone - I know I'm very lucky! The charity I work for is an ecological one, but yes, I am lucky

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
many phases of the moon ago i actively looked for work, that is before my cynical reincarnation, most of the time i didn't mention schitzo but my out of work history was against me both rethink, at the time the national schitzoprenic fellowship and mind i applied for jobs they said they guaranted an interview to disabled people so i mentioned schitzoprenia, heard nothing back

i have to say i've now gone totally the other way, seems i struggle as much to prove my case for welfare benefits practically as much as i once struggled to prove my case for work

Funnyday

Funnyday

In my local paper a few years back. Was an article about how someone diagnosed with Schizophrenia had gained a degree in Social Work in spite of their disability. I expect that they could only practice in the mental health sector.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
when i completed a psychology degree despite my schitzo disability i saw it as a achievement particularly as it was before the days of disability discrinination acts

i#m now more negative remember one right wing lecturer saying as people can work theres no need for benefits, those who say schitzos can work are feeding into as schitzos can work theres no need for benefits

i've since discovered my level of health is lower than i thought and the on med better is suspect, i know psychiatrists when i was young would deny side effects

they say your more likely to get better from cancer than schitzoprenia, and this people can get better is doing those trapped on the welfare no favours as it justifies cutting the welfare state

C

Cocoa

I think people with Schizophrenia definitely deserve benefits, and the right to work if they can

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it's not seen as the right to work people on benefits are seen as needing to be persecuted to encourage them to work and people on benefits have to be seen to suffer to discourage those in work from giving up their job

what about the right to be on benefits if your too sick to work, some people are in that situation

those in work with schitzoprenia are a minority and to push whats good for a minority on the majority who aren't in that situation and unlikely to be

Quijas6

Quijas6

Hi EdEd, After my diagnosis of schizophrenia, I started to think of the jobs I couldn't do. Pretty sure there's probably a lot of government positions that are not available given my history of psychosis. I thought (although I have not verified this) that police would not be an option. I am lucky to be able to continue to work in my chosen field but I have come across stigma along the way and I keep quiet about my diagnosis, except with my friends that I trust.