• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

It’s starting...

R

Ringtone0987

Recently things have been getting really hard with recovering from an eating disorder, dealing with intrusive thoughts, and just losing it over everything that I’ve started trying to self-harm. I have low pain tolerance so I haven’t successfully done anything too bad.

2Much2Feel

As a person with scars covering my arms to the point where I have to wear long sleeves or risk some idiot asking me about them, please try to stop yourself. Have you looked into DBT at all? It can, I believe, address all of these issues, and life in general. A few things that have really helped me from that--and I think I just put these on your other post (sorry, getting tired) are distraction with something funny on TV (Schitt's Creek has saved me this past year...), if you have energy, then steering that energy into exercise or just anything that will preoccupy your mind, some people swear by snapping the rubber band against the wrist, and there are other things as well (cold shower, head in ice water). You are in an intense state at the moment you believe that it is the answer, and it isn't. Never helps, although it may briefly seem like it has. The regret that sets in, particularly if you accidentally do it too badly, awful.

I've never been happy that I did it once. Not one time, yet hundreds of scars. Your mind is literally in another state and needs to be pulled out of it. Once it is, it's amazing how quickly that urge to harm absolutely disappears. I never felt physical pain when I did it, no matter how badly, as a lot of people report. It's such a strange thing. In any case, you do not want to add that to the list of issues you are dealing with. I don't mean that in some way like I really think you "want" to add it. But if you can stop yourself now, all the better. Once it becomes a coping mechanism, like so many other things, it can quickly turn to habit. And it only takes one of those times to make a permanent scar and, far worse, go too far and it's permanent. While that may sound good in the moment, it is just never the answer. I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this pain, but glad you are able to reach out and talk about it.