• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

it’s me again sorry

F

failedvibecheck

Hi it’s me sorry for being here again I promise I have a life outside of crying about my problems

I haven’t self harmed for 3 days now. Before that, I was kind of on a “streak” (lmfao I joked w/ my friends that it was like a Snapchat streak) and self-harming everyday. It feels...weird? And wrong. I don’t know, I feel like I‘m invalid unless I self-harm today. I don’t really want to, but my head is telling me I have to. I don’t know why I feel this way?? I used to go weeks without self-harming and I was fine, but now more than a few days w/out it and I start getting like this??

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hi it’s me sorry for being here again I promise I have a life outside of crying about my problems

I haven’t self harmed for 3 days now. Before that, I was kind of on a “streak” (lmfao I joked w/ my friends that it was like a Snapchat streak) and self-harming everyday. It feels...weird? And wrong. I don’t know, I feel like I‘m invalid unless I self-harm today. I don’t really want to, but my head is telling me I have to. I don’t know why I feel this way?? I used to go weeks without self-harming and I was fine, but now more than a few days w/out it and I start getting like this??
Hi,

A friend of mine stopped self-harming in tandem with me quitting smoking (which is just a slower, more deadly form of self harm). We buddied each other because the psychology and process behind stopping is the same - SH is an addiction. It's compulsive behaviour.

My suggestion would be to have your coping strategies ready - what are you going to do when you get the urge instead of self harming? Choose things that change your state in the same way - have a cold shower...have a ten minute furious exercise work-out at the ready...massage your feet with peppermint oil. Find things which will give you a physical response - an endorphin rush and a wake-up to your system.

Get serious in the same way as a smoker throws out ash trays, lighters and smoking paraphernalia - get rid of your SH kit. Have a special box with positive things inside it - a gorgeous smelling cologne, a bar of chocolate...whatever makes you happy.

Most importantly - analyse what you are doing. When I struggled with my quit and had a cigarette, I thought about it and wrote notes, like this:

How do I feel? Disappointed with myself. Weak-willed. Stupid.

Has the cigarette helped?
No, it's made me feel worse - feel like a failure. It didn't taste good, I just lit it out of habit. Now my clothes and mouth smell. Nothing has changed - my problems are exactly the same as they were before I smoked. It hasn't made anything better. My family will be disappointed in me.

Why did I do it? Because it's what I've done for years. I've created neural pathways in my brain that make me think the automatic response to stress is smoking. It's an automatic reaction.

Will you give in next time? No. I don't want to feel like this again. The craving would have passed in ten minutes. Next time, I'll do a work-out.

Just become extremely aware of what you're doing - make it impossible to act on the impulse because you have no SH kit and be prepared with what you'll do instead.

Good luck! Sending lots of love and keep talking to us. :hug: xxx

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Dont apologise for posting. Thats the whole point of this forum. Are you getting help? Are you on meds?

P

Prycejosh1987

Simply because negativity is encouraging you to, and trying to lead you to take your own life. Your friends should be supporting you. You need therapy to find underlying issues, to the self harming.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mandy125 Self Harm Forum 4
F Self Harm Forum 4
Q Self Harm Forum 3
rainbowsocks Self Harm Forum 12
Annelis Self Harm Forum 16