Isolation from Friends / Coworkers.

D

Dean480

This is my first post to these threads. Without writing a novel, I had a bad reaction to some medications, and it manifested in severe suicidal thoughts. It was a fight in my head between end it, and do whatever it takes to survive. I didn’t go through with harming myself, but it was close enough to scare me more than I have ever been. I had to take some time off work to go to doctors and detox from the reaction to the meds. I was up front with friends and coworkers with what happened. They know I’ve struggled with mental illness for years (bipolar 2, anxiety, social anxiety, depression). Here’s the deal though, I haven’t had anyone but my doctor, and parents check in on me. I don’t know if it’s just too awkward, or the don’t know what to say, or since it was a medication reaction, it’s no concern, or what. I feel like I went through with it and don’t exist now. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. These are people who are in my daily life, some really good friends, and it feels like they’ve just vanished on me.

PinkCandyFloss

PinkCandyFloss

It can be hard for others to know what to do when someone is suffering from mental health issues. A lot of it depends on how open you’ve been with them, such as work colleagues, I was off for two weeks and most of them assumed I was on holiday. When I was infact signed off sick for two weeks for anxiety and depression (or low mood as they insist on writing to make it sound “better”) I came back and people were asking me how my holiday was! This was back when I wasn’t as open about my mental health and probably causing mySelf more damage by doing so and continuing to work.

When it comes for friends, they may not want to overwhelm you. And be letting you get some rest and if you message or call them it will all be good and they will be there for you. There’s always the risk that friends will think that someone else has checked in on you, when no-one has.

Try dropping them a message to see what’s up and if you haven’t already and feel you can be honest what’s going on with you. Friends are usually super understanding when it comes to things like this.

There is also a chance that some may be going through their own stuff, or stuff with family etc and that needs to be their number 1 priority right now. It’s not that they don’t care, but things like their own mental health/physical health etc and that if their family usually is first and foremost for them.

We’re all here for you here as well if you need a rant, chat or whatever! I hope things are better for you soon xx

Midnight.Panda

Midnight.Panda

I've gone through something similar, but it was my family kind of vanishing on me. Despite being under the same roof, I felt like a ghost after they found out I was suicidal.. I don't think they're terrible people, but I think that they didn't know what to do or say to me..

And I agree with PinkCandyFloss^. A lot of people don't always know what to do when it comes to mental health, and sometimes that results in them not coming up to you. After one of my best friends died, a lot of my classmates seemed like they were staying away from me. It wasn't because they wanted to avoid me, but it was because they just didn't know what to say to me (but they all really did care). And sometimes, people might be afraid of saying the wrong things and making you feel sad.

I definitely agree that you should message some of your close mates and tell them how you're feeling.

D

Dean480

Thank you both so much for taking time to respond. I’m having a very difficult time adjusting to what happened myself, and I’ve been on the “inside.” I’m sure looking at it from the outside is that much harder. These are the same people who check on me when I’ve had a cold, but radio silence on this. I’m sure I have them overwhelmed right now with “what do I say.” I go back to work tomorrow, so hopefully it will be better. Midnight.Panda, I used the exact words “I feel like a ghost” earlier. You both have helped me tremendously with your responses. Thank you so much.

PinkCandyFloss

PinkCandyFloss

That’s what we’re here for to support each other. Wishing you all the best starting back work x

Midnight.Panda

Midnight.Panda

The adjustment time is always the hardest. I hope things start looking up when you go back to work <3

honeybadger

honeybadger

ACCOUNT CLOSED
A break from coworkers and friends is the best idea. Most can't deal with mental stuff anyways. They appreciate it in the long run.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Self Harm Forum 1