Isolation and loneliness

N

Nought

I wonder how folks cope alone, especially if they live alone, with a mental illness. Ive been single a long time and don't have many friends. I don't think I have a great personality so not the best company. I guess I need to try more but what do other folks do.

O

OCDguy

Forums like this are a good place to chat to like minded understanding people ;)

Iguessimnotasstrong

Iguessimnotasstrong

I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for many years. I started to live completely alone last October. I have to say I was a bit worried. Sometimes, it really isn't easy. When it gets unbearable, I go for a long, long, long walk. Or I do some mild yoga. Or I listen to some music. Or I cook. Distraction works for me. I try to reach out not only to my close friends but also to people I haven't seen for a long time. It takes courage (for some reason), but I found out it really makes life more interesting when I get to hear new stories from new individuals.

I guess I'm not helping much, these are just some things that work for me. As mentioned above, this community really is a safe space full of supportive people, so it seems like it might be a good start for you.

Good luck with everything. You are not alone in this :hug: Be kind to yourself and take good care :)

B

baileys

I live alone... it's not easy to cope with anxiety and depression when you have no support...but I would rather be alone than have people around me that don't even try understand what it feels like to be me...that's an even lonelier place to be

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

I currently still live with my parents, but sometimes being alone can feel so isolating, especially having mental illness. I think in time we should find ways of being comfortable in our own company by practicing various self-care methods and appreciating our time alone. I'm trying to treat it more as a positive than a negative, however, since my breakup, this has been very difficult, so I understand how you feel. You can always open up on these forums and who knows you may even make new friends :) Best of luck to you xx

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Mental Health Experiences 5
B Mental Health Experiences 1