• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is your depression something you see fixable and you know the solution?

M

ManDss

Sometimes I see people posts and sometimes I dont have clear why they feel depress (not saying they are not, just saying I dont see it or they dont specify it).

Sometimes I see posts like "Im depress and I dont know what to do", and its hard to give feedback because they dont say what is causing their depression.

I kinda see that for some depression is something they have, without a cause. And seems they see it as a cold, and with medication or something, somehow, depression gonna go away.

For me, I know the causes, and I know the solution, the problem is that achieve that solution is not easy, and gonna takes lot of time. But in the meanwhile I know Im gonna be depress, I dont need to find a way to feel better, its just how things work.

But I know some depressions are much complex. Depression due the lost of a part of family, there is no logic way to follow to feel good ok with it. And other cases too.

How it works for you ? Do you know the causes ? And you know what you need to get rid of your depression.

Bod

Bod

I don't look on my issues as fixable but I do look on them as workable, you have to really try to better your self from the pain all the issues give or do to you that's what I think.

jajingna

jajingna

I don't know about solving it, as if it will be totally gone and never return, but some changes in life circumstances could help. Feel like I've been stuck in a rut for too long. Like not enough good things have happened in recent years, and some bad things just set me back to where I am today.

mirrormaker

mirrormaker

In my case it teorethically could be fixable. In reality i have not been capable of fixing it.

I have poor social skills and sexual problems, but the core problem is my weak character. I am one of those who is very passive and scared of changes and even when i want to take action i simply don't know what to do because i'm used to expect someone to tell me what to do.

The consequences of beign like this is a future of loneliness and not fullfilling my expectations which in return is giving me a disproportional depression.

I'm sure most people could easily fix my life if they had my life. But for that you must have a different character

M

morty2

They are not totally fixable but Liveable!!!!,,Manageable!.

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

That seems a good question.

I _think_ I know the causes - it's a combination of my essential personality and my circumstances, and the latter is overwhelmingly down to physical health problems that I apparently cannot get any help with.

For the former, I am sure if I were somehow intrinsically more stoical, or, perhaps, if I were seriously religious, I'd be able to cope better with the physical problems and with the gloom at the memory of having had them for so long and anguish at the effect they've had.

On the other hand, I sometimes think maybe it's just the nature of existence, that life is just intrinsically and inherently depressing, because it's pointless and finite and just a random stream of unhappiness-inducing events that makes little sense. That's why religion was invented in the first place, I guess.

M

Mistral

Maybe not "fixable", in the normal use of the word such a mechanic fixing your car, but more like being able to have depression recede into the distance so that it is not such a prominent part of my life. In fact I am close to that now. I am not on medication and my depression only becomes back occasionally. My hope is that I can break free from depression completely.

M

ManDss

Thanks all for join the topic and share your experiences.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I feel like I need help, but I don't know how to get the support I need for internal help. It isn't stigma as I have tried and am very aware that getting help is important. I feel I know the skills to improve, and I can use these coping skills and strategies to interact and get through the day looking okay. However, I don't feel well and I'm not sure if there is a way to heal that. I don't think so.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Ask me in a few weeks, or maybe months. If it still hasn't returned by then I'll tell you that yes it's fixable and the medication combo I'm on now is what fixed it. 🤞

T

Sometimes I think depression could be called "insufficiently delusional disorder". i.e. the problem is not being able to delude yourself about the nature of life. The purpose of therapy, like religion, is to try and encourage you to develop delusions, and to lose touch with reality, so you can resume functioning in society.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Ah but that would be a situational depression or a reaction to a poor state of being. You then get depression that comes from absolutely nowhere and doesn't make sense at all. There is no delusion there, just biology going haywire for whatever reason. This is the stumbling block for therapy. Depression that is situational or a reaction to something can be unpicked and cleaned up via therapy quite easily, but the biological depression is a not about your thinking.

T

Ah but that would be a situational depression or a reaction to a poor state of being. You then get depression that comes from absolutely nowhere and doesn't make sense at all. There is no delusion there, just biology going haywire for whatever reason. This is the stumbling block for therapy. Depression that is situational or a reaction to something can be unpicked and cleaned up via therapy quite easily, but the biological depression is a not about your thinking.
Fair enough. It frequently occurs to me that all "mental health" conditions are different, even among those that have the same name. I guess what you refer to is more likely to respond to medication?
I still don't know how much mine is due to the hypothyroidism, in a direct biological way.

Only quibble I would make is that 'situational depression' seems to usually refer to specific life circumstances of specific individuals, whereas I'm thinking maybe the depressing situation is simply being a conscious entity existingin this universe as it is. That there's no situation a human could be in that wouldn't be depressing when thought about honestly and clearly. People fend off depression by managing to not see the world honestly and clearly. And some poeple's circumstances are such as to make that easier to do than are others.

M

ManDss

You then get depression that comes from absolutely nowhere and doesn't make sense at all. There is no delusion there, just biology going haywire for whatever reason. but the biological depression is a not about your thinking.
Does this thing really exists ? Sometimes I have the feeling this "biological depression" its just psychiatry trying to say "everything is biological", which been quite trendy in the past years, "oh, psychopathy is all biologic, genes, etc, we going to develop a new pill for every mental problem". I get that are some brain illnesses that come with depression, like some kinds of dementia, but for "regular people", depression being "only biological", is this actually proven ? Or just a theory ?

T

Does this thing really exists ? Sometimes I have the feeling this "biological depression" its just psychiatry trying to say "everything is biological", which been quite trendy in the past years, "oh, psychopathy is all biologic, genes, etc, we going to develop a new pill for every mental problem". I get that are some brain illnesses that come with depression, like some kinds of dementia, but for "regular people", depression being "only biological", is this actually proven ? Or just a theory ?
Well, who knows? Seems that the biggest single issue that 'science' has little to say about is the relationship between brain and mind. It's clearly closely related to the Big Question of 'what is consciousness?'.

So how can anyone ever answer that question?

Seems to be well-established that physical things acting on the brain can produce psychological effects - something that seems very relevant to me, as I have several of those physical conditions.

I guess the philosophical dilemma of dualism is represented by the split between psychiatry and psychology, and it probably won't be resolved in any of our life times.