• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is your depression getting worse, staying the same, or improving?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Recently, my depression has gotten worse. I now find it difficult to go on my daily walks. I'm eating more comfort foods. I'm practicing less personal hygiene. I'm staying at home more often rather than venturing outdoors. I'm taking fewer showers. I'm changing my clothes less often. I'm watching less tv. I'm going to bed earlier. I'm getting out of bed later in the day. I sometimes go back into bed during the day when I'm feeling very anxious/depressed. Other than those things, I'm feeling great.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I don't know. Maybe facing feelings, thoughts and situations are making it feel worse, but maybe it will help me help myself better.

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

Staying the same, day-to-day. But probably getting worse in the long-term, because the older you get the less there is to plan or hope for.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Recently, my depression has gotten worse. I now find it difficult to go on my daily walks. I'm eating more comfort foods. I'm practicing less personal hygiene. I'm staying at home more often rather than venturing outdoors. I'm taking fewer showers. I'm changing my clothes less often. I'm watching less tv. I'm going to bed earlier. I'm getting out of bed later in the day. I sometimes go back into bed during the day when I'm feeling very anxious/depressed. Other than those things, I'm feeling great.
I have my ups and downs, just like you. Recently I've been having a downer, some of it is based on tangible issues which I have to deal with. I get discouraged and wonder 'Why put up with it if it never ends?'. Life was meant to be more than a daily struggle just to get through, but it seems that is what many of us deal with.

The pandemic has increased our feeling of isolation and being alone in our struggles, but thanks be to God that SEEMS to be receding. Still, life is so many challenges and disappointments.

I think you mentioned you were in your 60's like me? I'm 66 and from that perspective I'm starting to feel things are never going to brighten up for me. I never thought life would be a cake-walk, but I always felt there would be some period we'd reach after a lifetime of struggles where we could have a few years to enjoy. I'm not so sure now. That's depressing.

M

ManDss

Its not a so simple question for me. Some aspects of my life have improved, so a part of my depression have improved. But then other aspects of my life have got worse, so part of my depression have got worse.

I feel worse than in the past, but at the same I feel better in life too. But the bad part is really bad, bad bad, not just not good. So...

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I have my ups and downs, just like you. Recently I've been having a downer, some of it is based on tangible issues which I have to deal with. I get discouraged and wonder 'Why put up with it if it never ends?'. Life was meant to be more than a daily struggle just to get through, but it seems that is what many of us deal with.

The pandemic has increased our feeling of isolation and being alone in our struggles, but thanks be to God that SEEMS to be receding. Still, life is so many challenges and disappointments.

I think you mentioned you were in your 60's like me? I'm 66 and from that perspective I'm starting to feel things are never going to brighten up for me. I never thought life would be a cake-walk, but I always felt there would be some period we'd reach after a lifetime of struggles where we could have a few years to enjoy. I'm not so sure now. That's depressing.
Yes, I'm 61. I'm waiting for life to get better. If my two adult children would just talk to me after my ex-wife divorced me, then I would be so happy. That would really lift my depression.

C

charlieblack5

Up and down, hard to say really.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Yes, I'm 61. I'm waiting for life to get better. If my two adult children would just talk to me after my ex-wife divorced me, then I would be so happy. That would really lift my depression.
Sometimes just a few things can lift our spirits tremendously. I've been working in high stress industry for going on 44 years, I want to retire in March of 2022. I'd like to think I have just a few years after that to enjoy before the grim reaper comes a calling, but you never know. I have to confess to being disappointed in life the last few years, I thought it'd be better at this stage of my life than it has been.

It seems like you work all your life and fight the MH issues on the basis that 'some day' things will sort themselves out and you'll live a few peaceful, joy filled years. But the reality is, that just doesn't happen for many of us. Life as we approach our 'golden years' ends up being just like life at any other stage of our lives, full of challenges, disappointments and struggles. Maybe it never stops until you cash in your chips, who knows? I sure don't.

S

Sugaree

I am 60 also. Lately my depression has been really bad. This week coming up will be especially hard. Circumstances in my family are getting worse. Chronic pain has escalated which makes me crawl back into bed by afternoon. There’s just too much toxic stuff in my head. It will get better, I know the cycle.

Y

yoyogirl

I feel that I have had to make changes in terms of what I do, for example I stopped turning up to activities in the community that were essentially worsening my depression, hanging round with a group of boring people who barely spoke a word, didn’t turn up when I agreed to meet and lack of interesting conversations was really making depression a lot worse. I left all of the groups in the same week as my friend dying. There was no point attending my local art cafe if she wasn’t there anymore.
I stopped talking to ex friends I knew from previous schools, why keep putting myself through the same Bollocks?
They are only gonna let me down!

I stopped using social media during the week as it really kills productivity especially especially when you are student. Now I just have access to forums I need that are related to my course, exercising etc no more endless scrolling.

I gave up all bread pasta (refined carbs) that weren’t doing my mh or physical health any good. I quit sugar completely and swapped with fruit or herbal tea/fruit tea, have up junk food and anything processed and gained new mantra food is fuel not friend/cry buddy.

but in terms of depression related symptoms they are still happening. Even though I do exercise regularly.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I feel that I have had to make changes in terms of what I do, for example I stopped turning up to activities in the community that were essentially worsening my depression, hanging round with a group of boring people who barely spoke a word, didn’t turn up when I agreed to meet and lack of interesting conversations was really making depression a lot worse. I left all of the groups in the same week as my friend dying. There was no point attending my local art cafe if she wasn’t there anymore.
I stopped talking to ex friends I knew from previous schools, why keep putting myself through the same Bollocks?

I stopped using social media during the week as it really kills productivity especially especially when you are student. Now I just have access to forums I need that are related to my course, exercising etc no more endless scrolling.

I gave up all bread pasta (refined carbs) that weren’t doing my mh or physical health any good. I quit sugar completely and swapped with fruit or herbal tea/fruit tea, have up junk food and anything processed and gained new mantra food is fuel not friend/cry buddy.

but in terms of depression related symptoms they are still happening. Even though I do exercise regularly.
I think you made a good move by getting off refined carbs. I've been on a low-carb diet for over a year and I've lost 45 pounds (20.4 kg) and my A1C blood sugar rating has dropped from 7.1 (diabetic) to 5.9 (normal). I also think it has helped my mood swings.

Taking care of our health is a big component in controlling our depression and anxiety. We can't ignore it. You're doing good.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

At 66 this video speaks a lot to me. Life is a lot like this:

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

getting worse i think it was so long ago that i cant tell the onset of symptoms yet

L

Lilibeth

L

Lilibeth