• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is time really a healer?

A

ANTY1983

I've recently come to realise that I've been depressed since around the age is of 10 and despite having a beautiful wife and 5 beautiful children, I still can't snap out of it. There's lots of little
contributing factors that I've identified but I fear that depression may just be "stamped" into my DNA

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hiya anty1983 and welcome to the forum.

SarahD

SarahD

I wouldn't say "time is a healer" works for depression. There are different approaches to helping depression that work for some people. I haven't found one yet!

Is your depression constant or episodic? I believe for most people depression stops eventually even if you don't treat it. But the bastard comes back!

My normal mood is set quite low, so that even when I am not severely depressed I am still depressed. (Unless manic.) my psychiatrist says some people have this low level depression all the time, I think it is disthymia.

What treatments have you tried?

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I don't think time heals depression no, I have episodes where I'm better but in my own experience it always comes back.
Like you, I have wonderful children, a nice house, I did reach the peak of my career (but then lost it) I have no financial worries but it's not enough to bring me out of depression.

megirl

megirl

Hey welcome to the forum.

I have to agree when it comes to depression time is not really a healer.
I think its more like getting the right meds is the healing part this of course can take time.
However when it comes with therapy yes as we go along we can find self help stuff learning about triggers how our past can affect us in the now and that can help in time.
I know with grief that they say time is a healer which is mostly true but grief is very, very different to depression.

A

ANTY1983

The reason I worry is that I've been on meds & therapy for 4yrs now. I've had EMDR, CBT & just normal offloading counselling whilst being on 200mg of sertraline a day ( the maximum dosage ). Have been to the docs recently to tell him I'm still suffering low mood most of the time and he's reffered for expert help. I'm certain that if I didn't have my children, I wouldn't be here today but I must stress I'm not one of those psycho dads that would harm there kids along with themselves. Sometimes things get so bad that I wish an accident would happen to me

SarahD

SarahD

I am sorry you are feeling so bad. I really sympathise because I know what you are going through. At least your doctor has referred you on for help. Many people do find treatment that works for them, so don't give up hope.

Wishing you all the best, Sarah

A

ANTY1983

Thanks. I hope so. I don't even have an high expectation of life and still I get down. Crazy huh

Mark_01

Mark_01

Getting the right medication, or combination of medications, and/or therapy is absolutely essential. I don't know if depression can be cured, but do know that proper treatment can make it go away.

D

Deliah

Mindfulness! Doing mindfulness training and learn how to be genuinely happy. D xx

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Bipolar Forum 2
letmein Bipolar Forum 15
GaryC123 Bipolar Forum 8
GaryC123 Bipolar Forum 5
S Bipolar Forum 5