• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is this some kind of OCD?

C

crane23

OK, I've been looking around for a disorders that matches my symptoms, but haven't found anything that really fits. I'll try to explain this as best I can:

Every night when I go to bed, I basically have to walk around my house to make sure everything is off. The TV, the lights, and whatever else. Problem is, even when I see that a light is off, I can't help but stare at it, up to 1-2 minutes at a time, just to be absolutely certain that it is indeed off, even though I know in my mind that it is. I think it's because I'm paranoid about leaving something on all night after I've gone to sleep. So... even though I know the light is off, I can't help but stare at it until I get tired of standing there, staring into the dark. I should also mention that to be sure the light is off, I'll repeatedly push down on the lightswitch, up to 4-5 times, to be sure. I know this is strange, but I have a really hard time going to sleep if I haven't made sure everything is off, because I'm just afraid of leaving something on. This also applies to my alarm clock, I'll push the "ON" switch about 10-15 times just to be sure it's on. I'll even stare at the clock's display, when there's an indicator telling me if the alarm is set or not. I'll see the dot in the corner, saying the alarm is on, but I'll stare at it anyway.

Sorry if that's hard to understand, I'm trying to be as clear as I can. Any ideas as to what I might have? I know this isn't normal. Thanks in advance to any help or ideas!

Jeff

S

starfish

i think that no one here is allowed to diagnose someones symtoms, even though some people can relate to them. you would be advised to see your gp, who should be able to help .

N

NrLondonGuy

Just in case your GP knows f*uck all about OCD. I suffer from severe OCD and am being referred to NHS top clinic soon. (maudlsey) I am just saying this cos I was misdiagnosed by a bunch of twats in teh NHS for years. DOn't take me wrong tehre are great therpists and Dr there too.

In short. As a past severe 'checker'. Yes I can 100% say you have OCD even if not allowed in forum. Sounds like its developing into something pretyy nasty.

Advice - yes it is OCD but go and read soem stuff on internet (Go to OCD charities OCD UK, OCD Action) read them you'll soon give yourself the same anser as I did. Go to GP ASAP. Tell you you have OCD (Read baout it and you'll know for sure. Ask for referral for CBT. Its very affective and can relive your OCD.

For now read and find out as much as you can about it then you know what help you are meant to get. You description sounding just like me in 2004. Sadly I was misdiagnosed nothing was done - I went mentel several times with stress and now know all my OCD is OCD and am finally being referred for corrct treatment. If you know its oCD yourself thorugh reading then you know what help to make you get CBY ERP.

Good book - overcoming OCD by David Veal. Do read - first chapter has someone just like you in it.

OCD can turn VERY nasty without the right help (I was suicidal for years). If treated correctly with an experiecen CBNT therpist using CBT and exposure responce precention you can make a FULL receovery if you commit to therpy and do what they say. Call OCD chairty website helpline and they'll stear you in right direction. It will also help GP to kow you spoke ot them in case they know nothing about OCD. Get help now!!!!! Feel free to send a PM if you want more info.

S

Sarey

Don't self diagnose, don't go looking for disorders, don't go looking for illnesses, don't go matching your symptoms with disorders/illnesses.

Nobody BUT a PROFESSIONAL can diagnose you with MH problems.

SEE A PROFESSIONAL.

C

Contramike

To me, it's pretty obvious that it's OCD.

NrLondonGuy makes some very good points and sounds like he's had a lot of experience in this area.

-See a mental health professional to see if you can be diagnoses with OCD. --==DO NOT==-- get treatment for a mental condition from a general practitioner. They generally don't know anything about treating mental disorders. The only reason to see a general practitioner would be to get a referral to a therapist or a psychiatrist (and if you want my opinion, go to a cognitive behavioral therapist as they have the best skills and methods of treating OCD).

-Get informed. Read all you can about OCD. *Note - websites like wikipedia and ehow can give misleading information as they are not regulated. Sites like WebMD or Web4health are regulated by mental health professionals and usually give accurate information.

-Build a support system. Join a support group in your area (Google it) - gather your family and friends so you'll have people to fall back on and talk to that can comfort you and not make you feel like you're alone in this.

Hope this helps

C

Contramike

dolores,

Is there a rule on this forum about making making amature or relative diagnoses?

There is definitely a difference from a relative and a professional diagnosis.

The people on this board are offering advice, they're opinion, and relative experience; not a professional diagnosis.

I notice that most people that do make a reference to others condition often suggest that the person get a professional diagnosis.

I agree; The only diagnosis to get behind %100 is that of a health professional, but the purpose of this board is to help other people with you're own experience, not necessarily to define people's illness'.

Please drop me a line if there are any rules about making relative diagnoses.

C

Contramike

Sarey,

-"Don't self diagnose, don't go looking for disorders, don't go looking for illnesses, don't go matching your symptoms with disorders/illnesses.

SEE A PROFESSIONAL."

1. True, only a mental health professional can correctly diagnose an illness.

2. You're first sentence fractures the entire foundation of this board. People should be trying to get as much information as they can about whats interfering with their life. This board is for people to relate their experiences and --==opinions==-- with people that need help.

I would like to hear your reasoning behind your first sentence. I'm sure there's a good one, because to say that in a place where people are looking for answers is just propagating ignorance.

Please post or mail my account.

N

NrLondonGuy

Sarey,

-"Don't self diagnose, don't go looking for disorders, don't go looking for illnesses, don't go matching your symptoms with disorders/illnesses.

SEE A PROFESSIONAL."

Don't mean to be picking but just writting for the benefit of crane23 and any other viewers having been through OCD hell myself at the hand of the 'professionals' who misdiagnosed me for years.

Yes ultimatley teh diagnosis should come from a professional pychologist who is experiecen in treating OCD. Looking at websites etc does not consitute a diagnosis or anything thats posted here. Its just info to help.

If we lived in a perfect world where all 'professionals' had a perfect understanding of OCD then yes teh advcie may resonate. However in my experince of OCD and of meeting many peopel with OCD the biggest problem we face is not getting the correct treatment (and diagnosis) from the professionals. OCD is teh least understood mentla illness and the MOST misdiagnosed and imappropriately treated mental illness. As in my experiecne and many others I have met as many GP, pychologists and pychiatrists do not undertsand this illness adequetly the best thing you can go to learn as much about it yourself (on 'proper' websites liek OCD charities, NHS website) read 'proper' books for CBT ERP, speak to other suffers and just get 'as much' info as you can then you have that as ammunition when you speak to the 'professionals' just incase they miosdiagnose you or know fuck all about OCD which sadly is VERY common place even today. Obviously the final 'diagnosis' and any diagnosis shoudl only come from a OCD expert. (local or otherwise). Reading good OCD websites and gather info won't be a diagnosis - it will just inform you about the illness so you can make sure you get the right treatment if the professional you see know fuck all about it.

The number of severe OCD suffers I have met through groups etc who have been misdiagnosed, given completely wrong treatment for years and years all by the 'professionals'. It take the average OCD suffer soemthing like 8 years to get 'appropriate' treatment after first seeing their GP. Lack of knwledge of this horrific illness is a major issue among 'professionls' more ten any other mainstream illness therefore what we in our groups tell poeple is 'learn' learn 'learn; then you know what help you are meant to get. Top OCD hospitals like the Maudsley and teh OCD charities are working very hard to increase knowledgeof this illness among GP's etc so that peopel get access to appropriate care. The majority of severe OCD suffers I have met (in real life) have experience some form of being misdiagnosed by professionals or given wrong treatment. This is a huge issue in OCD world and best way you can tackel is to learn as much about teh illness yourself then you know when and when not you are getting the right help for it.

Not being picky just having been 'fucked up' by the professionals understand the need to learn about this and any other illness. If I had read good websites, books and spoken to patients who have recovered I woudl have made sure I woudl have got the right help a long long time ago. Instead I listened to the 'professionals' who on reflection knew fuck all about either OCD at all or my specific OCD. This shoudlnot put you off seeking professional help - just arm arm yourself with as much knweldge as possible to you can 'guide' those professional shoudl they be lacking in training in this area. There are loads of GREAT CBT therapists out there who will help you with this illness. Just make sure you get to one!!!!

Last edited:
N

NrLondonGuy

Moderators:

I think we maybe need a sticky about 'what to do if you 'think' you have OCD.

The main issue OCD sufferes face in teh UK (don't knwo about elsewhere) is the lack of knowldge among mental health professioanl towards this horrific illness. This leads time and time again to people of all severities being misdiagnosed (or not diagnosed at all) and therefore not getting access to teh help they need. There are brilliant CBT therpists etc out there but can be very hard to get to them if your dr does not know your condition well enough. It takes about 8+ years for the avergae OCD sufferer to get the right help following teh start of their symptoms. This issue is widely recognised amoung OCD charities and experts who from what I have read are making great efforts better educate health professional so that OCD suffers can get teh right help and access to appropriate services. I have met many OCD suffers and am still astounded evrytime how many poeple I meet who, following consultaiotn with health profesioanl have not been given the appropriate treatment. (CBT ERP/SSRI's).

An important step in overcoming this hurdle (or obstacle) if to try to get as much infomaiotn about OCD to those patients so they know about their condition (assuming they have OCD) and can then ensure their health professional arrange appropriate treatment for them. This informaiton is available on good websites like NHS, OCD charioties, good books, support groups etc. There is a lot of misleading crap out there in books on internet also so teh right ones shodul be recommneded. The amount of people I have met with severe OCD who have 'given up' on therpy because they were given inmaprropriate care which of course did not work and therefore did not even know the help they shoudl be recieving and did not even know what ERP is.

Anyway - I woudl recommned a sticky on what steps to take if you 'think' you have OCD. Of course this shoudl start by speaking to GP etc as first step but also link to info so poepel can ensure they get right teratment if their helaht professional does not know enough about this illness to referthem to appropriate treament.

Maybe you coudl ask one of the OCD charities (OCD-UK) if they could put something together. A lot of poeple go thorugh this forum and having an awareness thats you dr's may not know you conditon and how to get round that is important. Things are imporving but still the amount of poepel I see and I think it unforgivable they ended up like that who have had no CBT and they have been in the mental health system for years with severe OCD!! I was one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please respond

Last edited: