• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is this schizophrenia ?

P

Peter10

Hello All

My friend suffers from auditory persecutory hallucinations but no negative symptoms at all. This went on for 18 months and then 4 months with no hallucinations. Recently he has had some more of the same hallucinations. They are both second and third person distant auditory hallucinations. His "delusion" is only that he believes his hallucinations are real and therefore that someone is harrasing him.

Does this meet the DSM requirements for a diagnosis of Schizophrenia ? It would be great if a professional in this area could give me some guidance :)

L

Lab rat

You can google the official line easily enough. I’m not a doctor and don’t pretend to be.

from what you told us, it’s definitely psychosis. But they have lots of different names for it.

it’s like saying, psychosis is like saying somethings blue. Of course it could be sky blue or navy blue, but it’s still blue. Don’t get hung up on a label: schizophrenia, schizoaffective, bipolar, psychotic depression and about 600 others. Worry about the symptoms, not a name on a letter

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi Peter there aren’t really professionals on this site, just peers. There are folks here who hear voices and experience persecutory hallucinations and they might be able to help you with testimony as to their diagnosis and treatment. Hopefully some will be by soon. It does appear that your friends symptoms match the criteria for schizophrenia laid out by the DSM but I can’t really provide a diagnosis since I’m not a professional. I would try to get your friend to see a good psychiatrist. They should be able to help him
more from their end:

P

Peter10

Thanks but I am aware of the DSM criteria but I suppose the point is the following : what exactly is a delusion ? He believes what he hears but he doesn't think about it when he doesn't hear the voices. The "delusion" he has is just to explain the voices other than that, he had no paranoia

P

Peter10

He saw a psychiatrist a few times at the start and he is taking an antipsychotic medication. Then Covid started and also his psychiatrist moved abroad. We are looking for a new psychiatrist. To be honest, I'm not sure what a psychiatrist can really do with active psychosis. He is happy and still working but sometimes frightened and annoyed during the night by the voices.

freddo808

freddo808

A delusion is when you believe in something, but it actually isn't real.
Is your friend a heavy drinker? That can cause psychosis. Does he smoke weed? That too can cause psychosis. Even if you stayed awake for more than a week - psychosis. (Not in everyone but you get the idea.)

L

Lab rat

You don’t need to go without sleep for a week, a couple of days will do it. Old workmate of mine was a soldier and the army kept them awake for 48 hrs. He was seeing gorillas in the trees and giraffes etc (this was in Chesterfield!) and he has no mental illness