• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is this schizophrenia I’m not so sure?

B

BigAng5815

Hey guys sorry for the random post but I just want some opinions. I know that none of you are doctors but I just want some opinions. My psychiatrist has been very reluctant to say what I have everytime I ask him he doesn’t really say much or he says I have depression with psychotic features but I’m not sure that’s the case since I’ve been hearing voices for a little over a year now.

Basically I’ve been really depressed these past 5 years and I began to isolate myself because I had no self confidence and really bad social anxiety. I’ve always been very timid and shy but it got worse because I began to gain weight and developed even worse self esteem than I had before. I should mention this started my sophomore year of high school. My senior year of high school I was so depressed that I hardly slept at night so I dropped out because I was going to school on literally 2-3 hours of sleep and this was destroying me. Fast forward about a year and 10 months I’m still super depressed but I had a very stress inducing event. My sisters boyfriend was threatening us and knocking on our house just to mess with us so this lead to me staying up late every night until 6-7 AM because I was scared of him trying to break into our house (this wasn’t a delusion he was actually doing this and my mom freaked out one day) a month or 2 after this happened I got Covid and after I recovered from Covid I began to have extreme delusions, paranoia and auditory hallucinations. The delusion and paranoia only lasted for 2 months but the auditory hallucinations remain almost a year later. The reason why I don’t believe I’m schizophrenic is because I only had delusions for about a month before I realized that i was just psychotic and a year after all of this I still know that none of my delusions, paranoia and auditory hallucinations are actually real at all. I still have auditory hallucinations and I’m aware that they aren’t real. The reason why I’m not sure if I’m schizophrenic or not is because I know in order to be schizophrenic some symptoms have to occur for 6 or more months. My only symptoms now are auditory hallucinations and emotional numbing….. I haven’t had delusions and paranoia in a year and I’m aware that they weren’t real. I’ve been unmedicated for about 10 of the 13 months I’ve been dealing with this and I’ve been alright for the most part and that’s why I’m confused. I have a family friend that is schizophrenic and he goes on a full on psychotic episode if he doesn’t take his meds for a couple a days but I’m fine even if I go months and months without medication. All opinions are appreciated.

ht46

ht46

Bi polar can cause hallucinations, because the depression is there you might want to see if you're going from extreme lows to extreme highs. Or schizoaffective disorder.

B

BigAng5815

Bi polar can cause hallucinations, because the depression is there you might want to see if you're going from extreme lows to extreme highs. Or schizoaffective disorder.
I don’t really have highs really. For the most part my mood is just low