• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is this rapid cycling?

L

laulipop

well today has been crap.
I've been on a bit of a manic. haven't really had the euphoria, have been really restless and irritable and and then really down and then laughing at daft stuff and then thinking i'm going to take on the world, and then having this like rage when i was in the supermarket earlier.
is this rapid cycling? My days are always like this at the moment. i change may be 6 or 7 times a day and I really do feel like im going mad.
my husband is going to call the CMHT on monday to try to get me a quicker appointment. Otherwise its 3 weeks until my appointment
thanks
hope youre all ok
:hug:

G

grace68

i'm not sure , i've never really had rapid cycling, or mixed state- i don't know if there's a difference. maybe someone will reply who has experienced similar.

you certainly sound very unstable and of course you are frightened also- i really hope that you get some positive input this week. :hug:

O

OBIWAN

Hi

Not to sure rapid cycling,thought that was only 4 -5 times a year,but I know exactly what you mean,I have the same thing,sometimes do you find things are overwhelming for yourself,like talking to people and stuff.

L

laulipop

Re obiwan

hi
yes may be you're right about rapid cycling...think its called ultradian cycling when you cycle many times in a day.
Um....yes i defo feel overwhelmed....answering the phone or the front door and sometimes even emails seem like a cysophean task when I feel like that

F

flutori

When I was first admitted to a psychiatric hospital I had very rapid cycling mood swings - ie. it seemed like my moods changed by the hour which they diagnosed as affective instability, but it after a few days decided it was a mixed episode - I was crying randomly, wanting to write to famous people, then lashing out when people didn't understand, thenI'd get depressed, cut myself with drawing pins I'd find in the walls of the ward....

Hope you get an appointment soon!

dib4uk

dib4uk

Yes it does sound like rapid cycling, or maybe cylcothymia? Not to sure what is the difference between rapid, ultra rapid and clyclothymia though.

Good luck with the appointment. A month is a long time to wait generally, but when your up and down and down and up all the time three weeks is torture.

Try and have fun and relax !

:grouphug:

guggy

guggy

Cyclothymia is basically less marked mood swings than any of the other bipolar subtypes, rapid cycling is four or more episodes per year and ultra rapid cycling is several mood swings in the same day in a matter of hours, although it could also be a mixed episode.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Cyclothymia is basically less marked mood swings than any of the other bipolar subtypes, rapid cycling is four or more episodes per year and ultra rapid cycling is several mood swings in the same day in a matter of hours, although it could also be a mixed episode.
Ahhhh they all sound similar. My moods go up and down basically every day, but, according to my pscy its cylothymia with bpd also.

A

Ainsworth

with my BP, i can have ultra rapid cycle but also have hypomanic for a week even more as it builds and then the low

what subtype is that then? as the mood is extreme but ultra rapid, going from a high, through paranoia, to wanting to kill myself, to flat, to normalish in the space of 24 hours :(

im getting confused on these

A

Ainsworth

Tis why the nhs have pschyiatrist, trained doctors who know the difference, personally i know the difference but get confused with labels.

:confused: :LOL:
lucky you have got them Dib :p

still waiting for mine to make their desicion on what help i get this time :unsure:

guggy

guggy

These things are hard to pin down even for psychiatrists. Bipolar II is particularly hard to diagnose, because people seek medical help when they're depressed and they don't when they are perhaps a little bit too cheerful and socially adjusted. And you may even be diagnosed with Bipolar II, but the very moment you experience full blown mania or a mixed episode you are reclassified as Bipolar I. Who cares, they are just labels :rolleyes:

Last edited:
M

mad as a hatter

unremarable my moods sound so similair 2 urs change so much in the day it,a living hell at times

M

mad as a hatter

yeah i know what u mean i,ve both 2 and i do know if i stay out hospital my personality disorder not ne where as bad as it is at home but i recently said 2 my pdoc i,ll never be seen as a bipolor patient again it,ll be this personality disorder that gets seen 1st don,t think that,s right and it means i won,t get the right treatment or meds at times