• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is this OCD or perfectionist

bluelives911

bluelives911

I feel so damaged i dont like bringing my issues to people i don't know (no offense) anyway when i walk i cant help but to avoid the lines in the sidewalk i have to step over them and count the lines......why does it have to be this way, i didnt sign up for this yet there i go counting lines and stepping over them, i do this everywhere and i want to stop it , is there anything i can do to distract myself or am i forever stuck in this cycle of being so rigid with it.

Attachments

Keesha

Keesha

Welcome and thank you for you service?

In my opinion perfectionism is a type of OCD. Any type of consistent behaviour you are obsessed with could be considered obsessive or compulsive but you’d be surprised how many people have this. It’s actually very common so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Watermelon 🍉 Sugar high 🎶

bluelives911

bluelives911

Welcome and thank you for you service?

In my opinion perfectionism is a type of OCD. Any type of consistent behaviour you are obsessed with could be considered obsessive or compulsive but you’d be surprised how many people have this. It’s actually very common so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Watermelon 🍉 Sugar high 🎶
I cant thank you enough for the help in understanding of this darn disorder !

PS: I'm trying to make some " friends" on here do you have any advice please.

Keesha

Keesha

Just be you. People with OCD obsess about stuff to the point that it’s painful but since it’s our brain thats dysfunctioning, I personally find it best to not rely on my brain but my body. My body feels a certain way when I’m considering doing something I shouldn’t do. Our body has ancient wisdom passed down from the generations before us.
Listen to your breathing Throughout the day. When we obsess our breathing usually quickens. Noticing your body’s habits and patterns helps take the focus of your thinking obsession.

Lots of people are perfectionists and lots of people have ocd. It’s quite common. As far as getting to know people better? I’m a loner. Mingling isn’t really my forte so to speak. I’m not great at socializing so I’m probably not the best person to ask.

What I have discovered though, if you really care to get to know people better is to really listen to them. Ask questions to get them talking like you did with me. Most people like talking about themselves. Find things you have in common and the differences.

The last thing you really need to do here is worry about being here. This is a forum for those with mental disorders so chill and have fun.

bluelives911

bluelives911

Just be you. People with OCD obsess about stuff to the point that it’s painful but since it’s our brain thats dysfunctioning, I personally find it best to not rely on my brain but my body. My body feels a certain way when I’m considering doing something I shouldn’t do. Our body has ancient wisdom passed down from the generations before us.
Listen to your breathing Throughout the day. When we obsess our breathing usually quickens. Noticing your body’s habits and patterns helps take the focus of your thinking obsession.

Lots of people are perfectionists and lots of people have ocd. It’s quite common. As far as getting to know people better? I’m a loner. Mingling isn’t really my forte so to speak. I’m not great at socializing so I’m probably not the best person to ask.

What I have discovered though, if you really care to get to know people better is to really listen to them. Ask questions to get them talking like you did with me. Most people like talking about themselves. Find things you have in common and the differences.

The last thing you really need to do here is worry about being here. This is a forum for those with mental disorders so chill and have fun.
You are amazing and very articulate i like how we have been able to open a friendship ( if you will)it is so nice to know i am not alone in this , will you keep in touch ? as I'm sure you know I'm a new member just looking to form a friendship , anyway i look forward to talking with you again soon , you sound like the one with lots of wisdom :)

bluelives911

bluelives911

what kinds of things/disorders do you struggle with, of course if you don't mind me asking ?

Keesha

Keesha

what kinds of things/disorders do you struggle with, of course if you don't mind me asking ?
Oh goodness. What mental disorders don’t I struggle with might be easier.

Schizo- Affective Disorder. I used to be more bipolar when I was young but my condition seemed to have morphed into this.

PTSD! I spook really easy. Any loud or sudden noises has me jumping and screeching easily.

Depression, anxiety, ocd, and some others I’d rather not disclose.

You aren’t alone in this. There’s an entire site full of people with the same disorders and a world full of them. You are far from alone with this.

Thank you for the compliments. :)

bluelives911

bluelives911

Oh goodness. What mental disorders don’t I struggle with might be easier.

Schizo- Affective Disorder. I used to be more bipolar when I was young but my condition seemed to have morphed into this.

PTSD! I spook really easy. Any loud or sudden noises has me jumping and screeching easily.

Depression, anxiety, ocd, and some others I’d rather not disclose.

You aren’t alone in this. There’s an entire site full of people with the same disorders and a world full of them. You are far from alone with this.

Thank you for the compliments. :)
You are so kind thank you for sharing with me what you struggle with . i too have PTSD i cant have anyone touch me or come up behind me and if they do i set a boundaries and tell them "you cannot do that "

I have bipolar and its pretty draining emotionally at times I'm much better now then i was yrs ago , i used to rage at people and then the other side of it i would become manic and although everyone i came in contact with when i was manic told me i was very funny and the life of the party , but the down side was I'd be up for days and loved how i felt but when i crashed i would sleep for two days , the OCD is brutal i cant seem to stop the obsessing over all kinds of things.

I have a life today as a result of doing what i call the "pain work" and its paid off big time ...anyway i need to pick up my wife at physical therapy. i hope to talk again soon, its been a pleasure.

P

Prycejosh1987

I suppose learn to lift your head up or work on focusing on something else. I look at people when i walk, i have to be very aware of my surroundings. Do the same.

P

Purpleplum

If you feel stuck in a cycle...if you feel you HAVE to do something or it will cause anxiety....if it involves things like counting....

It's OCD

bluelives911

bluelives911

I just went out to lunch with my wife and i made it so obvious that i was watching people to see if they walk(ed) on the lines to the point my wife asked me " what are you looking at" i told her and she just looked at me, which i understand as she has no idea how much i struggle with this OCD BS , anyway I'm really hyper vigilant with my surroundings so one of many things i do is count the steps of other people , yes its kind of strange but it is what it is at this point...i don't know how to stop or change it i just end up in a cycle of frustration and worthlessness....ill stop there as i still have a hard time sharing on here as it causes me to feel vulnerable...and THAT is a feeling i could do without....God bless ALL OF YOU in your courage !