• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

is this normal?

M

merr999

Basically i've been unhappy with the way i look for ages, it started getting a little better, but ever since one of my friends dropped from a dress size 12 to an 8 ive felt really 'fat'. All of my friends are skinner than me, so i decided to do something about it. I started running three times a week and loved the feeling after i had exercised, then because of exams and too much stress i gave up the running and brought a calorie counting skipping rope instead.

It didn't bother me at first, i just skipped with the rope three times a week for about twenty mins (but i do it in little sessions). Then i decided that this wasn't getting me anywhere so i increased it to 30 mins 3 times a week. I started noticing a change in myself, i was a size 12 weighing 10 stone 10, but after exercising i dropped down to 10 stone 7. Seeing the weight drop off was amazing and i felt really pleased with myself, but i didnt stop there. I've been increasing my excercise ever since, i started to do skipping with my skipping rope everyday, and as its a calorie counter i started burning 300 cals a day, it's now been increased to 400 cals a day. I keep a note of how many calories i burn so i know exactly how much im burning. I don't just to skipping, i also dance for about an hour and a half every other day as i felt skipping wasn't doing enough for the weight on my hips.

It's not just the exercising, i've started to become conscious of what i eat, i've cut down on junk food, and i always check how many calories are in things before i eat them. If its too much i won't eat it. I even sometimes sit there calculating how many calories ive eaten in a day. I count calories and use exercise to burn it off if i think ive eaten too much.

I'm now a size 10 weighing 9 stone 10, but want to get down to 9 stone 7 then ill be happy- but will this ever stop?

I didn't think there was anything wrong, my friend spoke to me about it and said i'm obsessed.

any thoughts?

thanks xxx

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
As long as you have a reasonable goal and a healthy maintenance plan, I don't see anything wrong with it, IMO.

S

*Sapphire*

To be honest what you are doing does sound a bit obsessive to me, especially as being a size twelve is not an unhealthy size to be at all.

I guess if you want to find out if you need to stop is to try to go a week or two without dieting/calorie counting and exercising obsessively and see how you manage. Healthy dieting does not have to be a race, a week or two of taking a break from it will do you no harm, especially as I don't think you are overweight.

If you don't mind me asking what is your height? And when did you start this diet?

Also has something happened that is stressful to you when you started this diet? Or something that has made you sad?

An eating disorder is not something to aspire to, and i'm not saying that you have implied you are. However it is a horrible horrible road to go down and only leads to misery, pain and damage, not just to you but to your friends and family. Research shows that the earlier you catch an eating disorder the better your chance is of recovery from it.

If you think that you may be going down that road then i strongly suggest seeing your GP and getting their perspective on how you should approach a healthy diet. :)

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I don't think being slim & trim and able to do everything you would like to do is a bad thing. The world is spiraling out of control with obesity. Thank you America.

Like I said,...a reasonable goal and a healthy maintenance plan are a must, as is moderation with all things.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I personally think avoiding junk food and maintaining a healthy level of body fat is a good thing. If you reach your target and are satisfied with that, are eating healthily and exercising it all sounds positive to me.

I think being a size 12 could be unhealthy....just as any size could be - depending on height/build.. I'm a size 10-12 but I know that is healthy for my height/build.

So...if you know your weight target is reasonable there would be no problem. IMO.

dib4uk

dib4uk

merr999,

You need to be careful hon, what will you do if and when you get to your own "goal"?

I think that because you said that you dont like the way you are, you could be using exericse and restricting your diet to aid your weight loss.

The most important thing is how do you really feel about yoursef? What is the fist thing that you think when you see yourself in the mirror?

Yes it could become obessive and before you know it you've passed that weight level and heading for lower.

Me personally, if i was a size 12 lol I'd be sooo :clap: about myself, but I'm not and I cant be.