• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is this normal?

L

Lab rat

I have been diagnosed (albeit over a phone call) as having panic disorder and possible agoraphobia. It only started recently, during the lockdown. There were no supermarket trips or going out or going to work. So it may have developed insidiously.

Fast forward to now, I’m ok at home, when I go out (even if it’s just a 500 yard walk to the shops) I feel adrenaline all the time. Going to the supermarket or anywhere else far away gives me full blown panic attacks (I won’t bother going into the symptoms cos it seems it’s the same for all of us) I had an ecg done and my heart is fine but I have another done on Friday next week because I was anxious during the first one.

But this is the odd thing, and the reason for my post. Some days I can be ok, yesterday I went to wickes, straight in, straight out got what I wanted, didn’t dawdle, drove home, fine! No anxiety.

Another time I went to the chip shop and because there was a queue I nearly had a coronary there and then! I had to come out and go straight home. Thank god I lost my job because of the virus, because I don’t think I would have coped with it! I want to work again but I just don’t know how.

Is it normal for agoraphobia to have “good days and bad”? Days where you are a hermit, and days where you can function, I would say 75% of normal? Have I been misdiagnosed? Does this ever get better? Can you live a normal life with panic disorder?

Cherub786

Cherub786

Hello, I'm afraid this is not normal at all. If you have agoraphobia, which I definitely think you do, that is very worrying and requires professional treatment and therapy. I'm afraid you can't live a normal life with panic disorder, not if you want to maintain your dignity in a society where people look down on those who behave strangely (and tend to gossip about it endlessly).
So my recommendation is to first try the professional therapy thing. Now if that doesn't help, you may have to see a witch doctor.

L

Lab rat

They are similar, but a panic attack is more physical and totally different to anxiety. That’s my personal experience ymmd