• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is this normal? Please help!

Greyandblack

Greyandblack

I have been diagnosed with bipolar 1 almost 5 yrs ago. The only manic episodes I ever had always progressed into psychosis pretty quickly. I stopped smoking weed over 2 yrs ago and haven't had a manic episode since. It makes me wonder if it was solely caused by marijuana. I've always dealt with depression, but over the past 3 yrs the depression is terrible. My depression can last for 6 months give or take. I also have social anxiety that magnifies x100 when in depression. I started going into depression again at the end of November. Started out sleeping a lot with no energy, quickly spiraling into full blown depression. Rarely leaving the house for 3 months now. This is the weird part I don't understand..... I have tried a few different meds that have helped and these are the 2 that worked for me, first Latuda and most recently Lamictal. Both have done the exact same thing! They will start working and the depression is completely lifted and I was able to live again. Then after about 6 or 7 months of doing great it's like the medication completely ceases to work anymore. Is this normal? I know that you can be on meds that after several years will loose effect, but after a few months?!?! I've never posted about this online before, but I don't know what else to do. I hope I can get a lot of insight.

Schitzoaffective007

Schitzoaffective007

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It effects everyone differently period. Only a good doctor can help you sort out that mess. Hope you have one.

Greyandblack

Greyandblack

It effects everyone differently period. Only a good doctor can help you sort out that mess. Hope you have one.
What do you mean it effects everyone differently? The medication or the illness?

I do have a good doctor.

Schitzoaffective007

Schitzoaffective007

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The medication. It might work for days for someone...not work at all for others...work for months with some people...work for years for another...or work forever for some. Obviously if the medication isn't working anymore, then it might be time to try something else. Do whatever your doctor tells you.

Greyandblack

Greyandblack

The medication. It might work for days for someone...not work at all for others...work for months with some people...work for years for another...or work forever for some. Obviously if the medication isn't working anymore, then it might be time to try something else. Do whatever your doctor tells you.
Thanks for your input. It helps to know that what's been happening to me with medication is normal.

Caracol

Caracol

Took me two years of fiddling with dosages and combinations to find the meds that worked consistently for me, and even then I have symptoms, they just aren't as bad.

Wandering2

Wandering2

Grey, on this same forum someone has complained the same thing. So yes I think it's normal for bodies to adjust and change according to what we put in it. I don't think it matters weather the medication is good or not. I think the only way to fix it, is to switch medications. Unfortunately, psych medications are not 100%😭 still looking for ones to help me.

Julzeebub

Julzeebub

I have been diagnosed with bipolar 1 almost 5 yrs ago. The only manic episodes I ever had always progressed into psychosis pretty quickly. I stopped smoking weed over 2 yrs ago and haven't had a manic episode since. It makes me wonder if it was solely caused by marijuana. I've always dealt with depression, but over the past 3 yrs the depression is terrible. My depression can last for 6 months give or take. I also have social anxiety that magnifies x100 when in depression. I started going into depression again at the end of November. Started out sleeping a lot with no energy, quickly spiraling into full blown depression. Rarely leaving the house for 3 months now. This is the weird part I don't understand..... I have tried a few different meds that have helped and these are the 2 that worked for me, first Latuda and most recently Lamictal. Both have done the exact same thing! They will start working and the depression is completely lifted and I was able to live again. Then after about 6 or 7 months of doing great it's like the medication completely ceases to work anymore. Is this normal? I know that you can be on meds that after several years will loose effect, but after a few months?!?! I've never posted about this online before, but I don't know what else to do. I hope I can get a lot of insight.
Yea so I've learned that meds don't work for all of us. I have treatment resistant bipolar 1. Go ahead and read up on it. It's becoming more common because it takes time to try out all the meds and combinations and then to have them fail. I only take Deplin when I feel a depressive phase coming. Keeps me from sinking too far down but it's a supplement. I'm not an advocate for med free treatment or anything because I wish they could help me. I'm just telling you what I read. I forgot the stats but it's a low percentage of people that meds actually work on. The more we learn, the better we can find what DOES help. That's why I have such an aversion to psych docs now. Many of them won't admit that meds don't work for some of us. I only let my medical doctor treat me. But that's just how it is for me and I can't speak for anyone else.

Wandering2

Wandering2

Nothing has worked for me so far. Lamictal? Mood stabilizer?🤣 To me it's like taking a damn sugar pill. They increased the doasage but my "adult tantrums " find a way. And I too Julzeebub feel the same with my episodes longer depression periods the older I get everything is more intense, but lately mixed. It's weird all at once an emotional time bomb. Antidepressants are useless garbage, there was a short time I had one work only for it to stop or make me feel worse. Increased my seroquel antipsychotic...helps me sleep but I don't act any less crazy. The doctor tried to up it but I can't sleep on it when the dose is too high. I feel fidgety, restless, and intense anxiety. Especially if I take it without a benzo. Yeah, no exact science for treating bipolar. 😢

Quijas6

Quijas6

yeah that's rough. I have a friend who has treatment resistant bipolar. She was on one med for years that worked and then tried going off of it. When she went back on it, it didn't work the same way . . . I was hoping she would try TMS.

Julzeebub

Julzeebub

Nothing has worked for me so far. Lamictal? Mood stabilizer?🤣 To me it's like taking a damn sugar pill. They increased the doasage but my "adult tantrums " find a way. And I too Julzeebub feel the same with my episodes longer depression periods the older I get everything is more intense, but lately mixed. It's weird all at once an emotional time bomb. Antidepressants are useless garbage, there was a short time I had one work only for it to stop or make me feel worse. Increased my seroquel antipsychotic...helps me sleep but I don't act any less crazy. The doctor tried to up it but I can't sleep on it when the dose is too high. I feel fidgety, restless, and intense anxiety. Especially if I take it without a benzo. Yeah, no exact science for treating bipolar. 😢
I am so sorry!!!!
This might sound stupid but I look at it like this, what would I do if I lost my eyesight or my legs or whatever? No meds for those. I would have to create a whole new way for myself so that's what I did. It's not 100% but wtf is? If I was blind, I know I would have some trial and error and some failures too but do I just succumb to being helpless? Hell no! This is a battle so I suit up, boot up and get my ass moving! No cure for this and most treatments are not guaranteed if they do help at all. I got no choice in the matter. I was once in so much of a crisis that I begged my doctor for a lobotomy. He told me no and then put me on the Deplin. I've been to a priest begging for an exorcism. I have been through hell and high water trying everything I could to help myself. As long as I still have one foot in this realm, of course I'm going to keep fighting! I've done inexplicable things in my life and far as I can tell, this is going to be just another notch to carve in my metaphoric war cannon! Ooh, I'm getting all riled up. Lol. I might just need a bath and nap! Fuck mania right now! Glad my neighbors know because I just screamed that like a large male lumberjack. Oy. I probably should go now for a bit. Thanks and don't give up! I believe in all of us!

H

hipchick

Well I'm not certain if you do know but I've been told by my doctor that the more episodes you have, the more damage it does to your brain. I wonder if this is the reason that the meds don't work