• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is this MI degenerative?

M

mindbodysoul

Meaning that it will get worse over time or with age? I've seemed to be ok over time, even so more so I got better? I sort of feel like Sylvia Plath's character depiction in "The Bell Jar" where things become sort of meaningless that shouldn't be. I'm working on my writing, and recovering some sense of wellbeing and purpose/belonging.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm not entirely sure, my greatest fear is that my medication will lose its efficacy over time which would lead to my condition getting worse.

But I've heard from people who have been on the same anti-psychotics for 20-30 years without problems, I need mine to last for life so maybe another 40-50 years if I'm lucky.

How long have you lived with schizoaffective and how old are you now?

M

mindbodysoul

I'm not entirely sure, my greatest fear is that my medication will lose its efficacy over time which would lead to my condition getting worse.

But I've heard from people who have been on the same anti-psychotics for 20-30 years without problems, I need mine to last for life so maybe another 40-50 years if I'm lucky.

How long have you lived with schizoaffective and how old are you now?
I'm thirty-two. I've had this illness for fifteen years and probably for the rest of my life. I've been on Abilify for almost as long as I've had this illness. It works the best for me. I hope that it doesn't get worse, my biggest fear, but I think if I continue to take Abilify I will be ok. A little nervous starting this SSRI....but I really want to lose weight and I really want to be more motivated to succeed.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm on Abilify too (well its generic version Aripiprazole) and also Risperidone (which I think the USA calls Risperdal). I'm more or less fine on them, I still hear a voice that isn't my own albeit I can cope much better with it on these meds.

I'm 41 but have only had symptoms for five years, been on the meds for four and a half.

I don't think our conditions are known to be degenerative in and of themselves but the human mind can experience difficulties later in life which I doubt help us at all. Goodness help us if we get Alzheimer's and start forgetting our meds, we might be in trouble if that happened.

I also take an SSRI called Sertraline (aka Zoloft), 50mg daily and I seem to have no problems with that.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't know about degenerative but you'll get old and think of all the wasted years on the dole borderline fit for work and old age much the same but with physical issues added

your parents will die and coping without support will exacerbate your illness

N

Nate

Meaning that it will get worse over time or with age? I've seemed to be ok over time, even so more so I got better? I sort of feel like Sylvia Plath's character depiction in "The Bell Jar" where things become sort of meaningless that shouldn't be. I'm working on my writing, and recovering some sense of wellbeing and purpose/belonging.
I know that my positive symptoms have decreased somewhat with age I'm 51 years old and been dealing with schizophrenia for 25 years. I still have symptoms but there better now.