• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is this hearing voices??

C

Clancy82

I was wondering if this is hearing voices or not. I've been very depressed for the past year or so, I've been put on sertraline three months ago and the dose was moved from 50mg then 100 and 150mg but the last two higher doses made me very manic and restless. I asked my doctor to reduce it back to 50mg and I've been taking that for two days. But I've still been restless at times and also I've either got a running commentary inside my head, more often when I'm alone. Also I get really really random thoughts that don't make sense appearing in my head to the point that I thought something else was putting them there. Thinks like "porcupine I don't care" pop into my head. When I'm not thinking anything. I'm just calmly cleaning up my house in the evening. Im not feeling anxious etc. then I'd be thinking of something really random or having a conversation in my head and someone will loudly interrupt my sentence with "jabba jabba jabba" and it's not my voice. I can even describe what this person looks like. It's all very bizzare and I've absolutely no idea what's going on. Any suggestions and experiences would be appreciated. I don't get them all the time, just when I'm not doing anything in particular.

Kerome

Kerome

Yes it does sound like a mix of hearing voices and maybe a form of intrusive thoughts. What to do next is a fairly complex question. If you go to the psychiatrists, they are likely to prescribe you medicines that you will have to take for years, maybe forever, and which may have a variety of side effects such as flattening off your emotions, weight gain, lethargy, etc. So if your voices are not making you suffer and you feel able to hold on to good independence of thought, ie you don't do what they say, you might want to avoid the medications.

On the other hand, it's a good idea to inform your GP so that he at least knows what is going on, and can help you with things like early warning signs that you should keep an eye out for.

C

Clancy82

Thank you, that's good advice, I'm going to see how it goes. Yesterday I was on the phone to my partner and when I got off the phone this voice said "I hate him" which was scary because I don't hate him or anyone really for that matter. I have had intrusive thoughts/images with my depression but these all but cleared up with the increase of medication. I'd rather have them than these thoughts and the agitation/euphoria I've been experiencing with the higher dose. I'm just scared that I'll end up like my brother. He has no real quality of life. I've worked all my life and I've a good career. However I can't go back to work until my symptoms are controlled according to occupational health, due to my role. It's all very frustrating x

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Clancy

I just wanted to say this could be because of the drug. I have had something like that from one drug, but can't remember which, although I do have psychosis too so can't be absolutely sure.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Look hearing voices is a severe, debilitating symptom of a mental health disorder. Episodes can last years, and in some case people never find peace. When I first heard voices back around 15 years ago - it would just trigger psychotic episodes. It was scary and I had no idea what was going on.

Sure if you are distressed seek medical help.

C

Clancy82

I think my symptoms are from the medication because I've been very restless all morning. I can't fully explain how I feel but it's not very nice at all. I'm going to come off the medication asap. Doesn't really matter anyway. Thanks

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I think my symptoms are from the medication because I've been very restless all morning. I can't fully explain how I feel but it's not very nice at all. I'm going to come off the medication asap. Doesn't really matter anyway. Thanks
Look if you have a severe mental health issue listen to your doc.

C

Clancy82

Although, correct me if I'm wrong but this is a forum for advice and support. If I want to ask something and get some advice and support and to share people's experiences to help each other. So if you don't mind, please don't tell me not to do something. If you've nothing constructive to say to me then don't comment. Thanks.

Kerome

Kerome

Brat's 'advice' is not entirely wrong though. The support and counsel of a qualified medical practitioner are useful for all but the lightest cases of voice hearing. There are many known cases where just a few voices grow into full time voice hearing and then to psychosis. So that is something to beware of.

On the other hand the Hearing Voices Network reports that many people hear occasional voices without ill effects, and without the condition worsening. So medication and psychiatric intervention are not 100% required. But it is a good idea to keep an eye out for things worsening, so that you can get help at the right time if necessary.

C

Clancy82

Yeah I know a trained doctor is the only one who can tell me what's going on, however I've only got a GP and I don't find he listens properly to what I'm saying to him. He doesn't know about the voices or whatever it is as they've only become troublesome for the last few days. I just wanted people's advice on here, and the experience other people have had. I think it takes a lot of guts to admit that you're hearing voices and brad whatever's comments aren't particularly constructive. I'm not after I diagnosis on here. X