Is this evidence sufficient for winning appeal?

J

JamesUniversal

Have applied for pip (first time) already on ESA. Assessment zero points (don't see how), MR zero points again. Appealed and due to be seen soon. I wrote a letter which is four pages long detailing my challenges but I'm not sure it is long enough and my gp wrote me a letter saying this.

"James is 29 and since his early teens has had significant problems with severe depression, anxiety, agoraphobia, obsessive compulsive disorder and alcohol dependence. He suffers with severe social phobias and despite being intelligent finds it increasingly difficult and overwhelming to be around other people. He has fallen out of society and spends his time in his bedroom because of his fear of other people and contamination. As a result, his self esteem has plummeted and he feels constantly low. James only irregularly attends the GP practice now because of his anxieties and to do so must come under the influence of alcohol to reduce his worry. He has had some help, but has not responded terribly well to medication, nor psychological intervention.
James is currently unfit to work and does not function well in his day to day life. To my mind, James has a great deal to offer and I find it tragic that his OCD, depression, social phobias, and alcohol abuse have robbed him of finding employment and building a life.
He will continue to have problems with depression, social phobias, and OCD for many years to come and is currently taking escitalopram and propranolol with limited success.
Many thanks for you help"

The problem is that i do not have much medical evidence as I rarely see any health professional.

James.

J

JamesUniversal

I mean I am sending my four page letter and the gps letter to the appeal as supplementary evidence.

J

JamesUniversal

I have quite bad OCD and social phobia, I was wondering if my four page letter and that letter off the doctor would be sufficient to win an appeal as I rarely see my Dr (social phobia). I am going to post them this week. My dad wrote a letter in my initial application but the DWP said they never received it describing my difficulties and he has since died. The DWP report said something like: 'he does not see his doctor regularly which suggests he is stable and doing well' this is not true, I don't go because it is difficult for me and I am not doing well. In addition, they said I came alone but I came with my sister! I have no input from other services for more evidence.

claude

claude

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That seems a strong letter to me in terms of medical evidence. PIP is very technical in what it is awarded in so I would suggest you make sure the letter you have written that outline your day to day difficulties is written in relation to the pip assessment criteria

Best of luck with the appeal

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
pip is for extra cost of disability whether as that letter states your unfit for work is immaterial though it'll help get esa

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
can i suggest you go to the benefits and work web site, you may have to pay to register but it's worth it, they have advice on meeting the pip criteria

J

JamesUniversal

Some news, well the tribunal texted yesterday saying a decision has been made. This morning the decision arrived in the post and I won! I can't believe it, the tribunal gave me points for the exact descriptors I said I should have got points for initially. I got 8 for daily living and 10 for mobility. I did not attend which was not held against me.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
so in effect you'll get low rate mobility and support you need above 12 points for the higher rate

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i think below 6 points you don't even get the low rate

J

JamesUniversal

Yeah the standard rate that's what I predicted when I made the application in October I should get and I did. I'm very relieved yeah a lot of stress off.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it won't get your name into the daily mail as the first benefit millionairre, in fact if your living alone it'll be difficult to live on

fazza

fazza

it won't get your name into the daily mail as the first benefit millionairre, in fact if your living alone it'll be difficult to live on
I dont think that's his/hers intention. Try "glad you got a victory and some help with your needs"

Spread a little happiness and be happy thay his/her worry is over for the time being.

L

Lorcos

I have to agree with fazza. When I read your comment I was shocked at how negative it sounded, especially when James was posting how relieved he was with his application results. Anyway I am happy for you James, all the best to yoy

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Congrats on getting . I’m still waiting my outcome and it’s very stressful. At least you’ll be ok for a couple of years now

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
if it is low rate support and mobility it's not much if your living independently thats just a fact

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
maybe tory supporters may not like me mentioning how much low rate mobility and support is, i think it qualifies you for extra on top of esa though when people transfer to universal credit that ends