• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is this down to my GAD?

Serz

Serz

Hi,

I recently have been feeling so overwhelmed by certain noises eg people chewing, tv and phone on at the same time, people wrapping there fingers on a table or shaking there leg. Any repetitive noise or movement really. I get so angry inside when the person is doing this I feel like im going to explode, a friend I was talking to said it sounds like a sensory overload. Do you think this could be the case or is this just another symptom of GAD?

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello Serz. Some people are very sensitive to noises. Have you heard of Misophonia? It is when people struggle with sounds.

Serz

Serz

Thanks for your reply. I had never heard of this until your reply but upon researching it I think you could be right. I literally have to walk out the room sometimes 🙈 ill do so much research on it to see what helps thank you x

one light

one light

Yes Misophonia comes to mind here... ive helped out on a Hyperacusis website for 3 years, that's over sensitive hearing so bad that when I had it 5 years ago, I couldn't even drop spoons into a draw, it was too loud - so firstly be pleased you don't have that, so that's a lift knowing that... M and H are similar and some get mixed up which they have on that forum...

So 3 years power of the mind research for me - and this is a difficult one to advise on, but can be so easy to fix... So where to start, you 'the self' as in behave yourself, look after yourself, the 'self' has to take control of the mind/brain, that's fussing excuse me for saying this, but that's whats happening here with annoyance, when others don't even notice it...

So if you get back to me on here, I will advise further or talk it over so others can see as well - but what you should do, and this is what I would do if it was me struggling with this, and knowing what I know about the power of the mind, or in some cases with us all at some point in our lives the lack of it...

I would wait until the next time this happens, and this is a bit blunt excuse me - but for example when someone is shaking a leg with nerves probably what it it - just say 'in mind' stupid boy, or silly girl... then clear your mind of it and smile to yourself, close your eyes for a moment if you want to and think a beautiful image of a child or a beach for 10 seconds - then job done, don't look, challenge won, then go again when ready...

Also when its someone chewing gum same again and add in thought, get a chocolate bar, make yourself smile/joke about the situation - then when you feel better, as in you're making progress 'compliment yourself' this is important for mental strength 'good boy/girl' say that to yourself, well done... then to the next challenge, compliment yourself each time...

I take the time to write all this, for you and anyone else with this 'difficult' problem...

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I can relate. Certain noises tend to aggravate my GAD. I made progress with my mood when I realized I'm usually walking around (emotionally) at level 7 on a 10 scale--but thinking I'm at my baseline anxiety level. I would wake up at about a 5.

Regulating my anxiety means assessing myself soon as I'm awake, know when I need extra attention that day before I carry on into the world.