• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is this depression?

J

jkr18

Hi

I am beginning to think I may be depressed. I have never been a very happy person and I have had periods of being low and not enjoying life for many years (I'm 22) but I just thought that was part of being young. In the last year it has been a lot worse, I feel sad all the time, I'm very emotional, cry a lot even in public just walking down street, I can't seem to control it. I think about death a lot, my family dying and me dying. But not suicidally, I don't want to commit suicide I just think that I wouldn't mind being dead and I don't really see why I have to live.
I have tried to do all the things that they say to do to feel better - exercise, stay active, see friends, do things you enjoy, but I don't feel better. The thing is it doesn't interfer with my life in a big way, I am able to function fine, I eat/sleep ok so is this actually depression and something I should go to the dr's about?

Thanks for your time

J

jekel1

hello x

yes i would go to the doctors , they wil be able to help you , if you feel like you aint right then your not. you know you better than any one , dont worry it will be ok. xxx:grouphug:

C

CarlC

I`d try the docs first but, personally i think you need to go to a spiritualist church, now i know religion is not aload but my dad died when i was 17 that was feb last yr i`m now 19 and i suffered through major depression,and was abit like you feeling suicidal thinking why am i here and what have you but then i went to a SC and i`ve found that life does not stop and EVERYONE is here for a reason.
You don`t need to follow the bible or anything,i don`t belive in it myself.You can go for the healing aspect.
Now ban me if you want but i just feel in my heart that jkr just needed to know.
I`ve thought of suicide a few times i have been so close to it but what has stopped me is the thought of my dog going in to kennels and my mum, also i know my dad is watching me.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I'd definitely say go to your GP (rather than straight to any mental health professional). This sounds like depression but your GP will be able to confirm that (or otherwise, of course).

To Carl, I'm glad you found the spiritualist church helpful but,
a) I'm sure I'm not the only one here by a long way that doesn't believe in a god or any of the other stuff that goes with it, and
b) Some of us have trouble even going out of the front door without taking a cocktail of drugs so going to a church/quiet place in the woods is out of the question.
I dont mean any offence by this and hope you dont take offence :) :flowers:

J

jamesdean

Having lived with depressin for 40 years I used to think that this is the way that the whole world thinks but it isnt, get some help.

J

jkr18

Thank you for your advice everyone.
I have been to the GP and they have confirmed depression. I am looking into getting counselling at the moment.
It is a strange feeling of relief to know for sure.

C

CarlC

I'd definitely say go to your GP (rather than straight to any mental health professional). This sounds like depression but your GP will be able to confirm that (or otherwise, of course).

To Carl, I'm glad you found the spiritualist church helpful but,
a) I'm sure I'm not the only one here by a long way that doesn't believe in a god or any of the other stuff that goes with it, and
b) Some of us have trouble even going out of the front door without taking a cocktail of drugs so going to a church/quiet place in the woods is out of the question.
I dont mean any offence by this and hope you dont take offence :) :flowers:
No offence taken,everyone has then opinions and i thought i`d just shared what worked/works for me.
And that`s part of the reson i said it as drugs just muck your body up, i missed taking the caprolapram(or whatever ya call it the one in the pink packet) and i felt dizzy and like i was going to faint.I prefer natures drug:D