• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is this depression?

Z

Zachtt92

I this depression too?
I posted this in the OCD forum:

"I've been really having some issues with this thought process for the past few months. It's kind of hard to explain. I start think about the earth and created things like trees or cars, houses etc, and I gat a thought like "well this didn't exist at one point etc" and I start thinking of these things not existing. And I basically start to feel like I am only seeing emptiness, before everything. I am having trouble enjoying these things with these thoughts. For example, I love nature, but lately I'll start to think "these trees were never here at one point, so what makes them beautiful now?".... or like, these trees could be cut down in one day, and be gone....
I cant stand these thoughts. They leave me feeling hopeless, and I feel like I am losing my wonder in life...."

I also get to think about the earth, and how it once didnt have all of the created things; it was just nothing at one point....... these thoughts are really troubling me. It's seriously hard to enjoy anything but sleep lately...

jajingna

jajingna

Hmm, it's hard to guess what that means, sounds like some sort of philosophical crisis, if there is such a thing. Times I've been depressed I just know from mood, unhappy thoughts, tiredness, routine stuff seeming harder to do, and being more anxious than usual. If you have symptoms like those you're probably depressed if they last a few weeks..

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

The following statements that you make could be signs of depression:

And I basically start to feel like I am only seeing emptiness, before everything. I am having trouble enjoying these things with these thoughts.

I cant stand these thoughts. They leave me feeling hopeless, and I feel like I am losing my wonder in life...

It's seriously hard to enjoy anything but sleep lately...

I would recommend that you see a therapist for talk therapy and ask the therapist what does it mean that you have these thoughts about creation and existence. I would then ask the therapist about the above statements that you have made in your post and ask if it seems like you have depression. If so, then probably seeing a psychiatrist for meds would be the next step. Good luck.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

These sound like obsessive thoughts about existential matters. Please do not use my opinion as confirmation of anything, and self-dx is fraught a diagnosis can only be made by a professional who's assessed you.

M

Mistral

You need to see a professional about these thoughts if they are anything more than thoughts that you have now and then.

MichaelaMar

MichaelaMar

When I had such thoughts, I constantly needed confirmation from others (then from my parents) that it was actually okay. That these thoughts that put me in a state of anxiety are "useless" (for example, I was anxious about making more of the exact same piece of clothing in the world. My parents had to confirm to me that yes, otherwise I was anxious).

MichaelaMar

MichaelaMar

These sound like obsessive thoughts about existential matters. Please do not use my opinion as confirmation of anything, and self-dx is fraught a diagnosis can only be made by a professional who's assessed you.
I think so too.

T

treasurebox

It will do you good when you think anf enjoy the "now." Do not think of the past nor the future. Live in the now and you will be happy and enjoy life.

A

AussieGeoff

hi Zach, imagine feeling as though once before I was never here until mum and dad created me, that's a similar thought, but I understand what you are trying to say, but without trees, the earth couldn't survive because they produce the oxygen to breathe and if by any chance this group of trees disappear then another group would be planted to compensate.
Rapid or dramatic shifts in emotions can develop depression, just like any feelings that aren't so good last for several weeks or reoccur when you're at a new place.