• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

is this blackmail

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

say a married couple separate and then the wife gets a text saying

did you want the car or the house?

making it seem like its on the husbands terms after he abused his stepdaughter sexually

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

F%*king git!! What a controlling bastard! :mad:
Yes it's definitely blackmail. I'm sorry that you and your Mum are going through so much shit.
:hug1:

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

F%*king git!! What a controlling bastard! :mad:
Yes it's definitely blackmail. I'm sorry that you and your Mum are going through so much shit.
:hug1:
i thought it was :( its terrible im glad ive managed to relax mums mind enough for her to sleep she had this text a few days ago and its stuck in both our brains
thanks for replying SS xx :hug:

T

Tiddle

That's not strictly blackmail. Blackmail is telling someone that unless they do something xyz will happen eg give me £1000 or I will tell everyone what you did.

So asking if you want the car or house might be trying to make your mum think that he is in control and will decide who gets what but it's not blackmail.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Then there is emotional blackmail too. Hugs Judazz

D

Dottyone

Could be mind games Judazz, hope he stops texting. X

:hug:, keep the same sim card and store the messages as evidence incase it turns into harrasment.

T

Tiddle

Even emotional blackmail would involve someone threatening to punish someone else If they didn't do what they wanted them to usually using guilt , fear etc to get what they want. The threat can be direct or indirect.

Obviously I don't know the whole story but your mum will have legal rights regarding property etc so probably best to ignore him and get the courts to sort it out. If she even wants anything she may just want to walk away. Definitely start keeping a record of events though.

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think the text itself is quite ambiguous, so whether it’s an attempt at blackmail depends on the context.
It could be that he’s simply making an attempt to divvy up the house, car etc. as would be normal when a couple separate. On the other hand, I remember you saying the house and car are in his name so it could be a bid to buy your silence. So I guess it’s blackmail only if the implication of the text message is you won’t get the car or house if you press charges. Either way I don't think he should be contacting you or your mum at all after what he did. :hug:

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

thanks everyone for your input

L

lovagemuffin

hes playing head games with your mother, don't let her respond to anything he sends cut contact.
and get her to get him out of her head too.

mami5

mami5

If I were you I'd show the text to your solicitor and let them deal with it. That way you don't have to worry about it. :hug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx