• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is this anxiety? Whats wrong with me?

L

lespaulman01

Im a 20 year old male whose been suffering with a big problem for so long. Bear with me cus im writin this as it comes to me.

I have been sufferin with a problem since i was 15. I have always been acutely afraid of the opposite sex and i always become nervous around girls i like. I fear what people think of me all the time especially at work and with women. Ive never had a girlfriend and only had sex once whilst drunk cus thats the only time i have courage to do so.

My dad suffers from pure ocd and had it pretty bad (even being hospitalised for it when he was younger). I suffered from panic attacks from the age of 15 and i was scared that my body was damaged or i might have to go to hospital for something. After this i didnt have panic attacks often but i would get scared bout many things. After watchin a film called constantine i became terrified that i might be haunted by the devil. I knew this not to be totally tru but it still scared me. Im an athiest now but every now and again i can get scared that this might still happen. I get nervous about how many hours i get to sleep for and i occasionally have problems gettin to sleep, although this used to be a big problem for me. When times were really bad i used to hear background noises at night like a plane travelling overhead or the sound of rain even when there wasnt any.*

Today i cant seem to muster the courage to get a girlfriend for fear of not performing sexually or not knowing what to do with one. I still fear the devil occasionally and im worried about what others think about me. Im worried about killing myself from smoking or drinkin or that a doctor will say im untreatable and will have to go to hospital.

Whats wrong with me? I havnt been to my GP because im too scared and embarressed. I need your help, i dont know if this is anxiety or what.

P

philmriv

What you are describing is "Social Anxiety" (a specific kind of anxiety that comes up in social situations).

I have it too-- There is a really good Wikipedia article on 'Social Anxiety'.

It is also sometimes called "Social Phobia"

Hang in there and keep seeking help-- it is possible to get better!

U

ucanhumpmyleg

yeh sounds like anxiety, i would suggest you see your gp even if its hard you will feel better for it =] ask a friend to go with you (y)

L

lespaulman01

Ok thanks for your replies. Im still very nervous about telling anyone about this but i will update you with my progress. Thanks :)

P

philmriv

You are welcome! I have it too, so I understand how it can be!

There is a lot of hope though, Social Anxiety is a problem that can be overcome-- for example, mine is mostly better now- I went to Social Anxiety Anonymous support groups (they have free groups by phone and also locally in some places), it helped me a lot! http://www.healsocialanxiety.com

They are a nonprofit. Hang in there, best of luck!

Ok thanks for your replies. Im still very nervous about telling anyone about this but i will update you with my progress. Thanks :)

L

lespaulman01

Ok i thought id update you. Still havnt been doctors. I dont know why i just can't seem to be able to. In the evenings before bed i usually think "ok after work ill go doctors tomorrow" but in the mornins and days i jus cant muster the courage. Think im sufferin from depression now cus i dont seem to be enjoyin things at the moment and the thought of facing work everyday fills me with horrible dread feelings, id rather be at home and i think my manager is pickin up on this. Im in a rock band and im losin enthusiasm for that too. Is it really social anxiety though? I dont mind playin onstage infront of a lot of people infact i really enjoy it if its goin well, although i do get over critical of my playing and get depressed on stage if i make a mistake.

P

philmriv

I meant MediTation, not MeDication

I meant MediTation, not MediCation.

I was saying that MediTation can make a huge difference in overcoming social anxiety problems.

I am not saying that all MediCation is bad (but some MediCations that are routinely given for Social Anxiety are terrible. You really can not 100% trust Doctors or the pharmaceutical industry on this, it's kind of a corrupt system.

You especially want to AVOID any medication in the benzodiazapine family (including Xanax). Xanax works short-term-- but can cause terrible problems if taken long term.

Here is a good resource on why all benzodiazapines should be avoided-- http://www.benzo.org.uk/

On the other hand, MediTation can be a huge help in overcoming social anxiety problems (See post two posts above this post for article link).

Ok i thought id update you. Still havnt been doctors. I dont know why i just can't seem to be able to. In the evenings before bed i usually think "ok after work ill go doctors tomorrow" but in the mornins and days i jus cant muster the courage. Think im sufferin from depression now cus i dont seem to be enjoyin things at the moment and the thought of facing work everyday fills me with horrible dread feelings, id rather be at home and i think my manager is pickin up on this. Im in a rock band and im losin enthusiasm for that too. Is it really social anxiety though? I dont mind playin onstage infront of a lot of people infact i really enjoy it if its goin well, although i do get over critical of my playing and get depressed on stage if i make a mistake.

Last edited:
L

lespaulman01

Cheers for all your replies :) read thru the symptoms of social anxiety and it definatly applies to me. I will definately look into meditation and im going to try slowly facing my fears. I have bought a big book on anxiety treatment selp help and im goin to give it a go. If self help doesnt work ill try professional. Cheers for ur help guys!

L

lespaulman01

Hey guys sorry its been a long time. Ok i went to my gp a couple of months ago and he wants to refer me to a therapist to start cbt training and other forms of therapy. For the moment im on propranolol 20mg three times daily which stops me feeling anxious but i still get the thoughts (kinda knew that would be the case anyway). Still managing to keep my job even with the depression and bad lethargy i get from that but im coping. Hopefully ill recover, whats the average recovery rate and length of time to recover for SA? I know it depends on person but any rough ideas would be good. Thanks for all your help, if i hadnt posted on here i would never had researched sa, got some cbt books and gone to my gp (which was impossible for me 12 months earlier) thanks and ill keep you updated with progress.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mimi14 Anxiety Forum 1
Mimi14 Anxiety Forum 2
J Anxiety Forum 1
P Anxiety Forum 1
blog15 Anxiety Forum 14