• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is this agoraphobia?

D

Dgjn12345

Hey all,

So I’ve recently noticed my anxiety getting worse when out running. I feel like I’m constantly trying to take a deep breath/yawning, and when I can’t get a satisfactory breath in, I feel a bit panicky. It’s generally manageable if there are people about but, on the odd occasion there is nobody about, I get more panicky. I’m 99 certain this is in my head and just wondering if this is agoraphobia and if anyone else has suffered the same?

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Agoraphobia is when you cant leave your house because of your anxiety and fear of the outside world.
Im not sure what you're describing, if its running related or anxiety related or mixture of both. Best to consult a professional if you're really concerned.

D

Dgjn12345

Yeah, I just wondered if anyone here had experience of the panicky symptoms being worse when no one was around. I know that the running is putting me slightly out of breath, but is just interesting that the ‘symptoms’ are so much better when there are a lot of people around.

P

Purpleplum

Maybe you try to control it when there are people around. Maybe people being around distract you from it?

P

Pollypop

I doubt it’s agoraphobia if you are able to leave your house and run.
Do you look forward to your run and basically enjoy it?

D

Dgjn12345

I feel the enjoyment is now waning, as I’m expecting to get the anxiety, but I’m forcing myself to go as don’t want to make it worse by avoiding it, if that makes sense?

P

Pollypop

I feel the enjoyment is now waning, as I’m expecting to get the anxiety, but I’m forcing myself to go as don’t want to make it worse by avoiding it, if that makes sense?
It makes perfect sense. It’s a god attitude to have.
It would be a shame to give it up.

Do you think that you may be feeling safer with people around
incase anything goes wrong with your breathing etc.

I used to yawn when stressed. Just generally. I don’t run!!
Possibly a visit or phone call to your doctor may be a good idea
just to find out if it is anything physical.

I really hope things improve for you whatever the cause.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

I'm not sure, I've a specific agoraphobia- I don't like crowded places when I find myself in a big crowd. I'm breathing fast and think how can I exist this place. I also don't like to eat in public much as I'm afraid I'll choke.

D

Dgjn12345

Yeah, it’s an odd one. I feel like I’m constantly struggling to get a deep breath in, which I’m sure is over breathing, then, when I can’t get that breath in, I’ll feel the urge to swallow; if I can’t, I panic a bit. If people are around, then I feel safer as if I was to choke, maybe they could help..

I’ve been reading a lot about agoraphobia and I feel I may have a form called monophobia, where having people around makes me feel safe.

I did have very bad agoraphobia around 10 years ago, but managed to control it; just worried it’s making a comeback!

One of the big things that annoys me is that I don’t seems to get classic panic attack symptoms; no rushing heart, no dizziness, just the breathlessness, urge to swallow and fear of dying.

I went for a run last night, as my wife pushed the pram around the park and I felt bad whenever I got too far away from them and then fine when I could see them. By the end of the run I was able to go further away, so this hammers home it’s definitely in the head!