• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is this a voice?

U

User8383

hey guys , i suffer from anxiety only and i had taken all the tests to see if i will develop any kind of serious mental illness in the future and my psychiatrist told me every single time to calm down and that everything is fine with me !

i am scared that i will develop any kind of a serious mental illness like serious depression or schizophrenia ..

sometimes i hear completely RANDOM words jumping into my head in my own voice , and after i hear it i can actually do it again by thinking about the word ..

and sometimes i hear words or really quiet words when my Fan is turned on (white noise) .

A

Aurelius

Welcome to the forum User8383. I hope you will find it a friendly and supportive place to visit.

Hearing voices is quite common. Reassuringly, while lots of people hear voices most of them are not mentally ill!

B

BlueWater

Recently, there's a random phrase that popped into my head. For a while it sounded like my mom's voice. Other times, like mine, but our voices are so similar that ultimately it doesn't matter. The phrase is kind of like a song stuck in my head. That being said, it's different from hearing a voice in my ear, which sounds like it's coming from outside my head. Most of my hallucinations are hynagogic. I've heard voices and dishes moving in my kitchen that caused me to awaken. I had to tell myself no ghosts here so go back to sleep. These pseudo-hallucinations occur only when I'm very stressed. I don't have SZ. As Aurelius said, hearing voices can happen to anyone.

Tanzz

Tanzz

hey guys , i suffer from anxiety only and i had taken all the tests to see if i will develop any kind of serious mental illness in the future and my psychiatrist told me every single time to calm down and that everything is fine with me !

i am scared that i will develop any kind of a serious mental illness like serious depression or schizophrenia ..

sometimes i hear completely RANDOM words jumping into my head in my own voice , and after i hear it i can actually do it again by thinking about the word ..

and sometimes i hear words or really quiet words when my Fan is turned on (white noise) .
Nobody here can diagnose you. You have to go to your dr and let them diagnose you

U

User8383

Its not like hearable things, just like thoughts that come to my mind randomly

U

User8383

Also my thoughts accelerate while sleepy

B

BlueWater

Its not like hearable things, just like thoughts that come to my mind randomly
I have OCD so my head is full of random thoughts and thoughts that won't go away.

B

BlueWater

Like random words that make no sense?
A recent auditory hypnagogic hallucination sounded like external voices whose words were not discernable. Many years ago while completely awake I had another auditory hallucination but that time of familiar voices whose words were not discernable. Both instances occurred during periods of intense stress. I remember being a stressed out kid lying in my bed at night thinking I heard someone playing my piano. That prompted me to close the lid on my keys every night before my bed. Forty years later I still keep the lid over my piano keys closed when not in use. It's a good practice anyway for piano care, but it began because of sounds I heard or thought I heard that no one else heard. So I think the distinction for me lies in what is a sound that is distinctly not a thought or not the sound of me talking to myself. It's distinctly a sound, a touch or a sight that feels like it comes from outside of me. And for me there's an essence of terror. In reference to what another commenter said, only a doctor can diagnose you.

R

RedSquirrel

“it began because of sounds I heard or thought I heard that no one else heard”

It’s not the sounds which are necessarily the big deal maybe? But instead it is the fact that you experience something which was completely and utterly your experience alone; and the predisposition/environmental factors which lead to feeling isolated and invalidated as a child means that this is the biggest trigger to such a person, because hearing or seeing such things triggers those feelings of invalidation. What you said felt to me like the very essence of what those who experience psychosis, such as in schizophrenia or other disorders go through. That the sufferer has created a reality outside of himself (accepting the belief that our outer world is created as a mirror of our inner world) which has him in a often constant state of seeing or hearing things which he suspects no one else would believe to be true. I feel it shows the subjectivity of the experience of psychosis. Could is also be said that the psyche of someone with this as their reality is caught in a loop of perceived trauma, perceived invalidation, and subsequent retrauma?