is this a step back

A

antcer1

Founding Member
ive suffered with depression for 6years and for the past 3 years ive been under gp care. recently my mood has gotten worse and i now have a cpn again, i havent had one since 05 and i feel this is a step backwards....ive also been sober 6 weeks and im finding it hard going at times but it is getting easier.....my self destructive behaviour has gotten worse and im finding it hard to stay motivated, even getting out of bed is hard. the kids are off school atm so can lie in and laze around but they go back on monday and i back to the school routine which i know im going to find really hard....i know i need support atm but i just feel im going round and round in circles.

D

Dollit

Seeing a CPN is not a backward step even if it's a long time since you saw one last. Think of the psych, GP, CPN etc as a box of tools and sometimes you won't use a tool for ages but you keep it just in case. If you're newly sober take all the help you can get from anywhere. Are you going to AA? It's not for everybody but I found it invaluable in the early times just to have people around me who knew how I felt and I'm glad I did go, it gave some useful tools to deal with things today.

Set yourself a small task everyday even if it's just take out the rubbish or read a newspaper. That small accomplishment makes you feel like you haven't wasted a whole day. :hug:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I find the routine of the school run,making breakfast,packed lunchetc keeps some normality and helps me otherwise I would ly in bed all day as I feel like sleeping a lot in the day.

D

Dollit

Sleeping is your brains way of coping. People with depression often sleep a lot more (though some sleep a lot less). When the kids go back to school the routine will help and you will be able to look back on each day and count off the things you done. It's positive to take the kids to school so they can learn. It's positive to give them a good packed lunch. It's positive to bring them back home to the place where they are loved. Keep trying and we're always here. xx

R

Robert92

Founding Member
I don't really know what to suggest, but i wouldn't consider it a step back no. The analogy Dollit used was good, that theres theres different ways of getting through different things. Also I'm sure the craving for alcohol is effecting your mood, once the craving starts to lower your mood will probably improve. Certainly just to be able to chat to someone like a physcologist who will really listen to you always make me feel a bit better.
Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:
daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Congratulations on going for 6 weeks. You should be really proud of youself, and just imagine how your family will feel about this.:clap:

We all have good and bad periods but you have the added pressure of staying sober, talk to your CPN and see if there is any support groups that you could attend.

Take care:hug::hug:

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
ive suffered with depression for 6years and for the past 3 years ive been under gp care. recently my mood has gotten worse and i now have a cpn again, i havent had one since 05 and i feel this is a step backwards....ive also been sober 6 weeks and im finding it hard going at times but it is getting easier.....my self destructive behaviour has gotten worse and im finding it hard to stay motivated, even getting out of bed is hard. the kids are off school atm so can lie in and laze around but they go back on monday and i back to the school routine which i know im going to find really hard....i know i need support atm but i just feel im going round and round in circles.

One of the most difficult things with giving up alcohol is trying to fill your time with 'something else'.
I would go back to your GP and explain how you are feeling right now.
The Gp may suggest that you try 'antabuse' medication which will help with any cravings that you may have.
There are obvious side effects to these meds but in the long term,they can be vital in helping you continue to abstain.

You can find plenty of info about this medication here:

http://www.drugs.com/antabuse.html

Good luck :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Depression Forum 2