• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is this a panic attack?

megirl

megirl

:unsure:
I am not too sure whats going on with me at the moment. I have bipolar and currently having a bit of a rough time of it.
Anyway I was at the supermarket yesterday and suddenly felt really overwhelmed, shaky and then all I wanted to do was start crying. I felt the urge to flee. However I managed to control myself pay for the few items I needed get to my car and I started uncontrollably bawling.
Its like for fuck sake?
Anyway is this more like anxiety or panic I arent too sure of the difference

BORTU

BORTU

Hello Megirl,

Panic attacks are horrible, I know as I have had them. Have you told your doctor about them? It does help if you can talk it through with someone.

megirl

megirl

BORTU thanks for your reply, I havnt actually told the pdoc about them. I thought it was a one off. However I went to the same supermarket today and the same kind of thing happened! It was like someone had given me an electrical shock I felt really weird.
I havnt had it is anywhere else!
I havnt had this kind of experience for probably a year thought I had kind of 'got over' them?
Obviously not!!

amathus

amathus

Hi megirl,

Sometimes certain situations set off anxiety symptoms of what is recognised as a 'panic attack', for no apparent reason...you sound as tho' you have experienced this before.
Supermarkets are well-known for causing panic like symptoms in people..once you experience these symptoms in a certain place, often, subconciously, the mind relates to this and panic may be induced again.
Approach your GP..maybe some relaxation techniques and/or talking therapy may help.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/anxiety.html

m.

Mayfair

Mayfair

:unsure:
I am not too sure whats going on with me at the moment. I have bipolar and currently having a bit of a rough time of it.
Anyway I was at the supermarket yesterday and suddenly felt really overwhelmed, shaky and then all I wanted to do was start crying. I felt the urge to flee. However I managed to control myself pay for the few items I needed get to my car and I started uncontrollably bawling.
Its like for fuck sake?
Anyway is this more like anxiety or panic I arent too sure of the difference
It doesn't sound like any of the panic attacks I had. I suffer anxiety when I have to go to town or summat now, when I haven't made the decision to go myself.

A panic attack is one of the most horrifying experiences that I've ever experienced, and thankfully I don't have them anymore. I felt like my throat was tightening on me, and I was going to suffercate and pulse rate off the scale, truly awful. It sounds to me like anxiety, though I'm not a Dr. And not that I'm saying that this wasn't bad for you. Sounds awful :(

L

Lizzie1257

I think it is but in your case I'm not entirely sure coz I'm exactly the same. Only difference is I don't have bipolar..... at least I don't think I have. :/ But I do suffer anxiety and panic attacks especially in the past few weeks I've suffered them alot big time... :'(

E

Easy Rider

Like an electric shock you say?

what you described does sound like a panic attack to me - minus the part of a physical sensation like an electric shock (tho I guess it can differ from person to person.)

What meds are you on?

I know certain ssris based on paroxetine like Paxil / seroxat can produce simmilar electric shock like symptoms, as can withdrawal from them.

C

cfb107

I know certain ssris based on paroxetine like Paxil / seroxat can produce simmilar electric shock like symptoms, as can withdrawal from them.
I have had electric shock-type things from Seroxat; gets worse when stressed/panicky.

What you describe sounds like it could be a dissociative state? If you were feeling extremely panicky then personally I think it could well be a panic attack - they are not limited to the "throat closing up / hyperventilating" type. Could be a combination of panic / disassociative state (supermarkets are well known to bring on disassociative states).

I know this is difficult to do (coz when I first started feeling new symptoms it was all I wanted to do!!) but try not to get hung up on "what" it is. It happened, it freaked you out. Talk about it on here and with your doctors, and answers will come :).

It might sound silly but supermarkets can be overwhelming and frightening places - keep safe. Hugs (((())))