• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is this a an eating disorder??

M

Morgan1983

I have noticed recently that I’m getting worse and worse when it comes to eating anywhere but my own house.
I am fine in restaurants etc but scared that I might start to go funny with them too. Basically, when I eat in others homes I start overthinking every little thing, if the plate is clean, who’s used the fork and knife and I drive myself crazy until I’m nearly sick, I take little bites and then I start to gag. If I’m around certain people I do the exact same and when I eat out I can’t look at anyone but who I’m out with or I’ll do the exact same. If I get a slight smell of something I don’t like, I need to stop eating. It’s got to the point where I can’t even eat in my own boyfriends house and even worse I can’t even share a glass with my boyfriend, but I can kiss him?? When I first got with my boyfriend I allowed him too cook me food and I’d eat at his all the time, it’s been 3 years and now I can’t eat a single thing at his house even takeaways that don’t need to be cooked or I don’t need to use any cuttlery for, I still always gag and can never finish my food. When I went on a caravan holiday I had to bring my own fork and never ate anything that was cooked in the caravan, I was constantly getting takeaways and yet again I was still struggling to eat it. I’m really not sure if this is some kind of eating disorder that I may have, but it’s getting worse and worse and driving me insane, was just wondering if anyone knew anything or experienced the same?

L

Ladyfair

I have noticed recently that I’m getting worse and worse when it comes to eating anywhere but my own house.
I am fine in restaurants etc but scared that I might start to go funny with them too. Basically, when I eat in others homes I start overthinking every little thing, if the plate is clean, who’s used the fork and knife and I drive myself crazy until I’m nearly sick, I take little bites and then I start to gag. If I’m around certain people I do the exact same and when I eat out I can’t look at anyone but who I’m out with or I’ll do the exact same. If I get a slight smell of something I don’t like, I need to stop eating. It’s got to the point where I can’t even eat in my own boyfriends house and even worse I can’t even share a glass with my boyfriend, but I can kiss him?? When I first got with my boyfriend I allowed him too cook me food and I’d eat at his all the time, it’s been 3 years and now I can’t eat a single thing at his house even takeaways that don’t need to be cooked or I don’t need to use any cuttlery for, I still always gag and can never finish my food. When I went on a caravan holiday I had to bring my own fork and never ate anything that was cooked in the caravan, I was constantly getting takeaways and yet again I was still struggling to eat it. I’m really not sure if this is some kind of eating disorder that I may have, but it’s getting worse and worse and driving me insane, was just wondering if anyone knew anything or experienced the same?
Hi I'm not sure but it sounds like OCD to me. (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

N

Noname416

Doesn’t sound like an eating disorder, maybe first stages of OCD?

P

Purpleplum

Doesn't sound like an eating disorder...sounds like OCD.

Fireflies201

Fireflies201

I agree with everyone as well. It sounds like an obsessive compulsive disorder.

I was going to ask you about your relationship with food itself and how you perceive your body. Usually when I think of eating disorders, I think about it as an unhealthy relationship with food as well as distorted body image.

If it’s more about the circumstances around eating, like you mentioned, unclean silverware - I’m unsure if it’s related to food in terms of an eating disorder. If it’s about how you feel about food itself and how it can affect your body - I think it’s more inline with an eating disorder.

I’m not an expert though. It would be a good question to ask a professional or your GP.

S

SidSid

I agree with everyone, it doesn't sound like an eating disorder as you seem fine eating food so long as you have made it? For example, if you were to prepare a full meal you would be fine eating it versus if your boyfriend made it?

When you're at your boyfriends/out to eat do you notice yourself doing or thinking anything to try and make yourself feel better in the moment? It is possible that it might be symptoms of OCD and it would be great if you speak to your GP about seeking mental health support.

Mr Oreo Bunny

Mr Oreo Bunny

I'm with everyone else. It sounds like the beginnings of OCD. You should probably go seek professional help, they will help you with methods and medicine to calm the fear of that is the case.