• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Is there any real help

J

Jessethemessy

I'm wondering if there's any real help out there. Anytime I've tried to go to therapy they are no help whatsoever. They tell me to read a newspaper and talk about current events like that's going to solve my problem. I want to know if anyone has actually got over this and become one normal person. Is it possible? I've tried several different things in desperation. Like EFT, I gave someone on YouTube $500 for a course happening on my forehead. It didn't help at all. Said that that was the solution. Is there anything that's worth for you guys. Or am I just doomed?

E

Elisante

To be honest, anxiety, is the only problem my therapist helped me solve, so yes there is hope ❤ . If simple therapy doesn't help, you could try medication.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Depending on how bad your Social Anxiety is, there are many videos on YouTube which approach the subject. You could take a look, and let us know if you find any of them helpful :)

D

Dispatch

Right ... I know what you’re talking about Jesse ... getting back to before anxiety appeared. That’s the goal ... I think it’s possible ... we just gotta keep trying 👍

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, please don't give up hope.
We do have members with SA I hope they can help advise you.
CBT might help you, learning to change how you think etc.
We're here to listen.
Hugs

PerpetuallyStuck

PerpetuallyStuck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
getting back to before anxiety appeared.
Whenever I have explained to psychologists or people I don't know well that I was invited to social events and had people wanting to know me back in my late teens, they usually roll their eyes and are like "yeah right". This is what pains me, the fact that they don't see what I had, or what I could be. I'm not sure I could ever rejoin the social ladder, but the stage I was at was an improvement on where I am today. It wasn't as if I didn't have anxiety then, it was just that I had more opportunity, and I had enough people around that at the very least, liked my personality. I know I did some things right!

D

Dispatch

I believe social anxiety is just so unique to each individual ... to me the triggers are almost too many to count ... then next thing you know ... anxiety has become part of your life ... why? I have know idea ... but there it is

J

Jessethemessy

Thank you all for replying. Makes me feel great. Social anxiety for me is for me something that blocks me from my my natural thoughts and my personality altogether. It's all that my mind thinks about all day long. It's unconscious but I can't help but think this stuff. I feel like I'm not being myself at all. I'm simply reacting to perceived threats and trying to control what people think of me. I know dr. Phil said anxiety is 100% curable. I just missed out on so much in my life. And I want to be able to live. It's just hard to do the CBT by myself with no help from psychologist because it's such a waste of time. That's not helpful. Seeing them once a month is not enough. They just want more patients, pack them in. I just wish I had someone really knew the path out to help guide me through it. I hope things get better. But I keep trying I guess. What other choice do I have. Thank you guys

J

Jessethemessy

I have severe social anxiety. I don't have any friends. I have a job that I hate but I'm too frightened to leave I start at a new place. My wife cheated on me but I couldn't leave her because I would be completely alone. I feel like I lost my dignity on top of everything else.

S

Seni23

Hey! all my life i have also been struggling with anxiety, i have been to a psychologist, i have been taking pills, watched a lot of videos on youtube in hopes of helping. Of course, the pills helped me but in a short period of time only. Unfortunately for those of us who suffer from this, I realized that the best way to reduce anxiety is to face my fears and get out of my comfort zone (at least in my case), and I know it sounds like it’s an impossible mission, and for every new thing I went to do needed a lot of mental preparation but the best feeling is the one after when you know you did something for yourself and succeeded despite the anxiety.

E

Eirlys

I'm wondering if there's any real help out there. Anytime I've tried to go to therapy they are no help whatsoever. They tell me to read a newspaper and talk about current events like that's going to solve my problem. I want to know if anyone has actually got over this and become one normal person. Is it possible? I've tried several different things in desperation. Like EFT, I gave someone on YouTube $500 for a course happening on my forehead. It didn't help at all. Said that that was the solution. Is there anything that's worth for you guys. Or am I just doomed?
Hi, I'm so sorry you haven't found a method that works for you. Don't give up! There are many things you can try out and it took me years to find something that was effective for my social anxiety. I suggest doing some research to find some techniques or treatments you haven't tried yet and see which might help. You'll get there! :)

D

Dispatch

Hi Jessethemessy

The advice Dr Dave Carbonell gives on his website might be useful:
thanks for the article mischief ... it’s very useful reinforcement information ... I plan on putting it into action.
I seem to be able to suppress my anxiety sometimes ... whether it be a meeting, family gathering, pool party ... what have you ... but then other times I’m an absolute no go ... at all ... no amount of talk or reasoning can get me to calm down enough to do whatever it is. This is what baffles me. I used to use alcohol to numb the anxiety ... I was able to go to quite a lot of things ... but, having quit drinking 20 years ago ... each day is kind of a surprise on what kind of mindset I’ll be in that day ... it can be frustrating that’s for sure

J

Jessethemessy

Thank you very much! I think I bet most everything on that article was very useful and spot-on. Give me a little bit more insight until what's going on with me. I really appreciate the help and the time.