• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Is there any new nonaddictive really good medications for depression. OCD. or anxiety?

bluestar ocean

bluestar ocean

Has anybody heard or tried any new medications for the treatment of depression anxiety or OCD? Or even any natural regimes or natural substances. I personally think I may have all those disorders but I'm so scared to take medication. Instead seem to self medicate with Canabis which I don't find helps in fact sometimes exasperates the problem.

jajingna

jajingna

I used to take Zoloft. It's not new but it helped. Don't think it's addictive. I stopped taking it easily enough.

P

Purpleplum

There's no "good" medicine. What works for some, doesn't work for others. It's all about finding the one that your body chemistry works with. Unfortunately, the only way for doctors to do that is to use trial and error. In other words, try one and see if it works if not, try another. It's a soft science.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
If you go to a health food shop, you might be able to buy mild relaxing herbs like valerian. Lavender oil is amazing and even though i have access to sleeping tablets i prefer to use that on my pillow. It is good for general anxiety in the day too. You can buy diffusers to puff out steam with essential oils into the room. Different oils have different abilities. Drinking chammomile tea or valerian tea, some do. Sometimes you can buy these in a supermarket.

There are over the counter sleeping tablets that are milder, but still pack a punch. It might be useful for when really struggling but you wouldn't be able to drive once taken them.

St John's Wort is a health food shop type of antidepressant and in Germany, doctor's do prescribe in for depression as it is quite powerful. I think health shops dosages must be lots less but it is a herb that has been used for decades, maybe longer, my grandma used to take it when she was young so 100 years ago.

F

Faceplant

In short no, virtually all psych medications comes with a risk of dependency and/or withdrawal symptoms if taken long enough. One popular medication for anxiety is called Ativan but it comes with a serious risk of dependency and can lose effectiveness over time. 'Silexan' which comes from Lavender is (2 capusles = 160mg) to help with anxiety and to be as effective as 0.5mg of Ativan without addiction. It's also non-drowsy which makes it great for daytime use. The main side effect is lavender burps but they don't bother me, some people have stomach issues. There is a product called CalmAid (which is just Silexan). iherb.com has the cheapest prices that I could find. Give it a try, if it helps with your anxiety then go with it, if not it's not a lot of money to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Faceplant

I posted a link to a clinical study showing the efficacy of Silexan compared to 0.5mg of Ativan but the mods removed the link because I am new. Search Google for the study.