• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is there any hope for my schizophrenic dad

E

Eminem 12345

He is treatment resistant and also an alcoholic he's 50 years old had schizophrenia since he was 25 and has been treatment resistant since he was 40 he's recently been hospitalised again for phoning up NHSn24 and saying he was going to kill people also he shouts on the streets at people is this life for him now as. He responds to no meds and has to take injection as he refuses help he has been on a compulsion order for years after he chased someone with a knife during a delusion he had been in constant psychosis for the last 10 years he will never co operate with the mental health team as he thinks their injecting poison into him through the rispradone injection

JessisMe

JessisMe

He is treatment resistant and also an alcoholic he's 50 years old had schizophrenia since he was 25 and has been treatment resistant since he was 40 he's recently been hospitalised again for phoning up NHSn24 and saying he was going to kill people also he shouts on the streets at people is this life for him now as. He responds to no meds and has to take injection as he refuses help he has been on a compulsion order for years after he chased someone with a knife during a delusion he had been in constant psychosis for the last 10 years he will never co operate with the mental health team as he thinks their injecting poison into him through the rispradone injection
I’m so sorry to hear that your father is struggling so much with his schizophrenia diagnosis. I can understand your worry...I would be worried too.

It seems like what is getting in the way of this being made more manageable for everyone is your father’s resistance to treatment. With therapy it is possible that this can change. Do you know why he resists treatment so much? Has he had bad experiences with the mental health system that make him want to stay away?

E

Eminem 12345

I’m so sorry to hear that your father is struggling so much with his schizophrenia diagnosis. I can understand your worry...I would be worried too.

It seems like what is getting in the way of this being made more manageable for everyone is your father’s resistance to treatment. With therapy it is possible that this can change. Do you know why he resists treatment so much? Has he had bad experiences with the mental health system that make him want to stay away?
The meds don't work for him he's to far from reality to accept help he believes he's antichrist and a psychic and doesn't believe he is unwell he knows his diagnosis but he's far too gone to even understand what planet he is on its so sad as he can't have a normal conversation without it turning spiritual or about how his neighbors are going to kill him ect no meds have ever worked for him

JessisMe

JessisMe

The meds don't work for him he's to far from reality to accept help he believes he's antichrist and a psychic and doesn't believe he is unwell he knows his diagnosis but he's far too gone to even understand what planet he is on its so sad as he can't have a normal conversation without it turning spiritual or about how his neighbors are going to kill him ect no meds have ever worked for him
When he says things like that do people affirm them or challenge his thinking?

E

Eminem 12345

When he says things like that do people affirm them or challenge his thinking?
Cpns challenge it and tell him he's hallucinating but he won't listen also his illness makes real people's words come out different as well he has a brother my uncle who is also schizophrenic but he's been voice free for 15 years he's still paranoid but not as bad as my dad

JessisMe

JessisMe

Cpns challenge it and tell him he's hallucinating but he won't listen also his illness makes real people's words come out different as well he has a brother my uncle who is also schizophrenic but he's been voice free for 15 years he's still paranoid but not as bad as my dad
We are a peer operated forum and no one here is a practitioner but based on my experience with others with schizophrenia there’s is always possibility that he could change and things can get better. Nobody knows the course of the illness for him or what tomorrow will bring. Your dad is fortunate to have caring people around him that only want the best for him. I would keep on caring for your father to the best of your ability and try to love him for the person he is now. :hug: