• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is there a link between depression and repetition?

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I know that watching programmes/films that you already know well can be helpful for anxiety and depression, you know what’s coming next all the time so you don’t have to focus so intensely.

I find this helps sometimes myself.

Is there also a link between depression and/or anxiety of listening to the same song/songs on repeat?

I mean I do love my music and I get my favourites for a while but I do tend repeat the same songs.

I even make the joke about driving by myself that I can have the same song(s) on repeat and no one can tell me to change it 😂

Am I someone who just loves songs intensely until I find new ones or is it something to do with depression?

Q

Quietly Invisible

I have suffered with anxiety all my life and depression since age 21. I did not know that watching repeats helped. I do like repeats--movies and tv shows. My husband does not. Now I know.

I am not a music lover, I am a music liker. I like it sometimes, but I definitely will listen to the same songs over and over. I play them on my Alexa. I love when my husband's not home so I can listen to them over and over. I don't think it has anything to do with depression though. I just like what I like until I find something new. Like food--I do that too.

F

Frankum35

I like old songs and I repeat them. To me they never get old. I do like newer songs too. I remember writing a paper for speech class about a famous Greek philosopher, forgot if it was Plato or Aristotle. Anyways, one of them said that having a routine in life is a form of happiness. I do find routines work for me as they make my life easier.

Talula67

Talula67

I know that watching programmes/films that you already know well can be helpful for anxiety and depression, you know what’s coming next all the time so you don’t have to focus so intensely.

Is there also a link between depression and/or anxiety of listening to the same song/songs on repeat?

I mean I do love my music and I get my favourites for a while but I do tend repeat the same songs.

I even make the joke about driving by myself that I can have the same song(s) on repeat and no one can tell me to change it 😂

Am I someone who just loves songs intensely until I find new ones or is it something to do with depression?
Music to me is medicine so yes I do play certain pieces of music on repeat. I don't think this is a negative just a choice to listen to something that makes us feel better.

I also have been guilty of playing interesting YouTube clips on repeat especially if I'm giving a talk in work to people and I need information to go in and remember.

Just enjoy the ear-worm that's all @KittyCat92 😂🤣

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Oh GOD, yes! I find watching the same movies over and over very appealing. I have so much choice these days, but I always get a hankering for certain movies. It's like a craving. And a comfort.

I also tend to listen to songs over and over for literally hours, usually when I've newly discovered them, am trying to learn them and sing along, and am obsessed with them. Like the minute a song finishes, I press replay so the gap between is as short as possible and I can get my "fix" again!