• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is there a connection between hypomania/mania and anxiety?

T

Traveler5

I have Bipolar 2 and GAD (and a few other stupid disorders).

When a person is going through a hypomanic/manic phase, is anxiety a key component of that episode?

If so, to what degree is it for you when you're manic?

Thanks!

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

Ignore this.

F

Failing Heart

When a person is going through a hypomanic/manic phase, is anxiety a key component of that episode?

Thanks!
I am still in the process of trying to separate what’s what in my comorbid conditions… But I have bipolar 2 as well and have also been diagnosed as having an anxiety disorder. I am also reading a book called “madness, a bipolar life“ and the author talks about anxiety associated with her manic states.

G

Gratefultobewell

I have bipolar 2 and I have a lot of anxiety. I think the two quite often go together.

S

SFGuy

I am anxious whenever my mood changes from baseline, whether high or low.

When I'm hypomanic I have trouble distinguishing between anxiety and mania since both rev you up. A therapist told me mania comes from inside (in my case it's usually goal oriented, too) and anxiety comes from worries about real or imagined threats from outside. That helps some.

Amazingly

Amazingly

I experience lots of anxiety when I’m feeling ‘high’ or low.
But not all the time.

Wishbone

Wishbone

The comorbidity is common (Bipolar and anxiety) but I couldn't tell you if it's more prevalent in depressive episodes or higher ones. I might have to have a nose around and see what I can find.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Found some things in this Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) and International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) 2018 guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder

"Symptoms of anxiety frequently co‐occur during a manic episode, and are a predictor of poor outcome; including greater severity of manic symptoms, a longer time to remission, and more reported side effects of medication."

"Symptoms of anxiety are often experienced during a depressive episode, and are predictive of more persistent depressive symptoms and increased suicidal ideation."

"Patients with BD frequently experience symptoms of anxiety and comorbid anxiety disorders (GAD, panic disorder, post‐traumatic stress disorder and others). Clinical samples indicate that 24%‐56% of patients with BD meet criteria for one or more anxiety disorders, with the highest rates in women. Comorbid anxiety symptoms and anxiety disorders are associated with a higher number of mood episodes and depressive symptoms, including suicidality and sleep disturbance, and greater impairment of psychosocial functioning and quality of life. The presence of a comorbid anxiety disorder is also associated with high rates of use of antidepressants, which should be employed with caution due to their potential for mood destabilization."

So it seems it's at either pole where anxiety likes to hang out. I think in my own self it would be more so the depressive pole where it becomes a big problem.

Wishbone

Wishbone

@Traveler5 Do you have any problems with irritability/agitation at all or is it just anxiety on top of whatever you experience in your Hypomanic phase?

F

Failing Heart

I am anxious whenever my mood changes from baseline, whether high or low.

When I'm hypomanic I have trouble distinguishing between anxiety and mania since both rev you up. A therapist told me mania comes from inside (in my case it's usually goal oriented, too) and anxiety comes from worries about real or imagined threats from outside. That helps some.
This is very helpful and describes what I’ve been experiencing the past few days perfectly. Thanks for the window of clarity.

F

Failing Heart

Found some things in this Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) and International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) 2018 guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder

"Symptoms of anxiety frequently co‐occur during a manic episode, and are a predictor of poor outcome; including greater severity of manic symptoms, a longer time to remission, and more reported side effects of medication."

"Symptoms of anxiety are often experienced during a depressive episode, and are predictive of more persistent depressive symptoms and increased suicidal ideation."

"Patients with BD frequently experience symptoms of anxiety and comorbid anxiety disorders (GAD, panic disorder, post‐traumatic stress disorder and others). Clinical samples indicate that 24%‐56% of patients with BD meet criteria for one or more anxiety disorders, with the highest rates in women. Comorbid anxiety symptoms and anxiety disorders are associated with a higher number of mood episodes and depressive symptoms, including suicidality and sleep disturbance, and greater impairment of psychosocial functioning and quality of life. The presence of a comorbid anxiety disorder is also associated with high rates of use of antidepressants, which should be employed with caution due to their potential for mood destabilization."

So it seems it's at either pole where anxiety likes to hang out. I think in my own self it would be more so the depressive pole where it becomes a big problem.
Pretty much describes my depressive end perfectly. Ugh.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Thanks!
I don't know if this helps but I read a few months ago somewhere that mania is a heightened state of anxiety as opposed to an opposite pole. Not everyone may agree but it may not be elation after all because it involves irritability, anger etc at times. I don't know why they felt the need to change the name of Bipolar Disorder from manic depression.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I think racing thoughts are a symptom of mania I know in my own manic episode racing thoughts, anxiety and disturbed sleep led to it.