• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Is Therapy Too Expensive

D

depressed_tati

I have a depression. I’ve recently lost my job and, consequently, health insurance due to COVID-19. I used to get therapy but I can’t go to my therpaist now as she charges more than $300 per session without insurance. I have been considering online therapy options such as BetterHelp or Talkspace ($260 a month minimum). I still think that these services are quite expensive and I was wondering if there is anyone else who would like to get therapy but the high cost stops them?

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

Try looking into medicaid. If your a single income you may qualify, im not sure how it works in your state but it could help cover your cost.

D

depressed_tati

Try looking into medicaid. If your a single income you may qualify, im not sure how it works in your state but it could help cover your cost.
Thank you for responding! I did try it and, unfortunately, I did not qualify for a subisidized care under Medicaid.

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

Thank you for responding! I did try it and, unfortunately, I did not qualify for a subisidized care under Medicaid.
I'm sorry, I've never tried any of the online services myself. If you happen to be under 26 it used to be that you could still be on your parents insurance. Not sure if that still true.

D

depressed_tati

I'm sorry, I've never tried any of the online services myself. If you happen to be under 26 it used to be that you could still be on your parents insurance. Not sure if that still true.
It is true but my parents are not from this country so their insurance is not available here.

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

that's okay! I still appreciate your responce! I am just trying to research if there are other people like me who want to get therapy but the cost stops them.
I'm honestly in kinda a weird place I've lost my job but I did qualify for assistance so I've been using it to get therapy. But now I'm scared to loose it when I get a job and not being able to afford the therapy anymore. But I'm not making any money, so it difficult to really win sometimes.

nutsie

nutsie

You can find online book therapy

CBT book name Feeling Good by Burns

Have free book download

b-ook dot org

T

Toniyl40

Try some of the state programs. We have health Harris center in Houston. They do have programs that charge less. You would get a case worker.

D

depressed_tati

You can find online book therapy

CBT book name Feeling Good by Burns

Have free book download

b-ook dot org
I believe that negative emotions should be acknowledged and embraced beacuse they are just the indicators of certain things in our lives that are not in alignment with one inner being. Such things usually include distorted patterns in relationships (romantic, family, friends, colleagues, fellow students and even strangers) and/or lack of life purpose. While it is hard to get anywhere focusing on negative thoughts, CBT tends to sweep the awareness of these issues under the rug. We don't just have issues "out of nowhere", we need to look at the root. Sometimes, it goes way back to family or ancestoral patterns.

P

Prycejosh1987

I have a depression. I’ve recently lost my job and, consequently, health insurance due to COVID-19. I used to get therapy but I can’t go to my therpaist now as she charges more than $300 per session without insurance. I have been considering online therapy options such as BetterHelp or Talkspace ($260 a month minimum). I still think that these services are quite expensive and I was wondering if there is anyone else who would like to get therapy but the high cost stops them?
There are free therapists an counsellors out there you just have to look for them. You could try a pastor, or try a service like Samaritans.