• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Is the voice real?

M

megu2

Hello all, I'm new to your community, a 33 year old female who has been suffering from voices now for 6 years. Lately, I just have one voice that at first was complimentary and now turned dark and manipulating. For years I thought the voices were real people, enemies maybe although I pride myself on being a good person and not having too many of those...is it possible that these voices are real people? Also they are controlling my body, making me do things I don't want to do sending me into a psychosis where I have to be hospitalized for 4 mths at a time. Any advice you can give regarding how these voices work I'd appreciate...have a nice day! Meg New York

R

RainbowElf

Hello and welcome to the community.

When you say "could the voices be real people" what exactly do you mean by this statement?

If you mean that people are sending you psychic messages then I highly doubt that, but this is one issue that divides this site a lot of the time.

You might just mean though could they be based on real people, if this is what you mean then it is possible.

A lot of people hear voices based on real people, but in my opinion there is no way that these people could be really talking to you.

Voices are complicated because each experience is different and there is no exact research into the matter.

I know that voices can be a pain in the arse a lot of the time, and been in hospital sucks even more.

Do you know what makes the voices worse?

A lot of the time stress is the biggest factor.

I am here if you want to chat.

Hugs.

Pyppy x​

T

terri

Hello all, I'm new to your community, a 33 year old female who has been suffering from voices now for 6 years. Lately, I just have one voice that at first was complimentary and now turned dark and manipulating. For years I thought the voices were real people, enemies maybe although I pride myself on being a good person and not having too many of those...is it possible that these voices are real people? Also they are controlling my body, making me do things I don't want to do sending me into a psychosis where I have to be hospitalized for 4 mths at a time. Any advice you can give regarding how these voices work I'd appreciate...have a nice day! Meg New York
Hello Megu

How nice to meet you. Don't go away, I've only just picked up your post. Interesting that it is six years ago, do you live anywhere near twin towers? You know there were rather a lot of people who threw themselves our of those windows to escape from those fires, and I remember when it happened I was working on my own in rather a small place, and the telephone rang, not my mobile, and my son S was on the end of the line and he said mum you would not believe what was happening it was unbelievable and he said I was watching tv and the channel switched over to America and there was a plane which headed straight for twin towers and then there were people throwing themselves our of windows and then there were people running all over the place as though not half in panic and then there were firemen standing there who had absolutely no idea what to do, and that reminded me just then, I had a flash back of a friend of mine who was a true fireman with a friend of his and mine who was a fireman also, and the terrific fireman said to me one day, I would like to get my hands on the persons who have did that, and I said to him, with no thought in my head so what was george bush doin then, flyin all over the stratesphere when he disappeared out of the way and left the Major of New York to it, to make that speech and to sort things out, and don't forget we have not forgiven and not forgotten what those horrific people did to your all over in the NY and all over America and yes we have friends who were there as well, weren't we all rather involved, yes and that's not all, we were truly so upset that they did rather a lot of bombs over in London, and what did they pick here, rather a lot of young men with rather a great deal of brain washing, and that involved a school teacher who looked after our children, and stand back in true disbelief when you see his rather popular face and true good looks, you could not have imagined in your worst nightmares that this would have happened. And aren't they the smug ones. those involved, especially that one claw hand of a not man now, rather a great physical de mon who has rather a lot of children and rather takes lots of dosh off our hard working tax payers and has rather a lot of roll eyes, human rights, over here through our ditching what we had fought for the in the wars, and handing everying over on rather a gold not half not chariot over to europe and not half having russia laughing their heads off and the rest of the flaming european commisars as well, and now get this sarkosy i do not want you anywhere near our steven's mouth any longer because he has rather a great knowledge of french as does our wichard and so do i though I guess I do forget and then it does come back and yesterday I was speaking in thai so now then mr hmm not half not tewwi haines no more and I do not go cancel my jollies over in 2 and an 11 and I do not ever go back to that teggy filler for anyother name than my own from now on so go get that gate for I know you are watchin and I left you those notes for a very specific reason so why the hell did ya snitch........... mr secretive, now aren't ya. Nosy, yep I know your on, and weren't you brave, goin all the way over the NY and through that aeroplane the one with the guy who said 'let's roll' and all the way back through to the blackberry, mr super cool, me I don't like, not now, not no more, never ever shall, after rather a lot of wind up, now get lost yourself and tek her involved off to caribbean no more because you was there for voodoo and who got that, rather a lot of I.

Bad mood no more, where was I, oh yeah, having a jolly lovely discussion with our Rainbow, Elfy likes to give a different perspective to what I choose, good debate there.

So long for now

Not Terri not no more

R

rabina

Hello Terri,

Do hope you're well there.

Is the voice real; all voices are real!!!:D

rabina

A

anyajp

I reckon the voices you are hearing megu2 are telepathic voices. Mine are the same. Real people who message me.

maxitab

maxitab

I on the other hand know for certain that the voices I hear are split off and unacknowledged parts of my own psyche.....from my unconscious. To believe anything else seems extremely perverse and deluded to my way of thinking.

D

Dunkelweizen

Usually I believe that the voices I'm hearing are just my thoughts. Sometimes I wonder if I'm hearing thoughts, especially when the voices take on my wife's mode of speech, but the idea of thinking that scares me too much. I'd rather believe that I'm just making up voices, than face the idea that I'm losing touch with reality by believing I'm psychic. My voices (wow, I don't know if I've ever claimed them like that before) are using real people's voice qualities, but it's not those people talking.

Not to say everyone who says their voices are psychic is out of touch with reality,just that I know that I'M not psychic and for me to believe it would seem deluded.

L

lincsman11

Well I'm wondering the same thing, if they are real. I like to think that it is a friend that I created within myself, since I don't trust a lot of people. IDK I also have random thoughts of "what if this will happen?" and it is totally paranoid and doesn't have much of anything to do with anything, and I have to remind myself that that (bad thing) won't happen. It really gets in the way of work, and I don't like that society won't have much of a place for mentally ill people most of us are on the street.

S

SuperZ

This place is quiet lately. Over a year since I've been here. I think that the word "mental" disturbs most people, and they stay away. Another problem is that some of us here are really strange. There's another forum which I visit lately called "generalforum.com". I agree that this is a hard life to live.

Raina Walks

Raina Walks

Interesting that you call us strange....everybody is strange...people who don't have mental illness do the strangest things too so I don't differentiate myself much from them except that I have unusual and unfortunate things that happen to me that they are not experiencing.

I am one of those people that believes that my illness is as real as arthritis which can be treated but not always cured.....some of the things that so called normal people say and do to me leave me feeling strange and sometimes angry...so we are all mental. Anybody that calls me that I tell them to look in the mirror.

Gout and lots of physical illnesses like flesh eating disease disturbs me too...as do bed bugs and lots of other things so I am sick and tired of being brushed aside...because my illness is of the brain...

Raina Walks

Raina Walks

Interesting take on it...my voices are all male and I'm female and are set on destroying my self esteem and my life so it is hard for me to think of them as parts of my own psyche. I am a positive thinker and very creative...they keep trying to take over and tell me what to do to my peril each time.

The only scenario in which I can relate to your take is that I had suicidal ideation for most of my life...I am working through it...the voices are trying to kill me so it could be that part of my psyche at work trying to finish the job because in the past someone or something always happened to intervene when I was determined to end my life. Now that I am committed to living the voices seem to want to keep that destructive force alive but they are not succeeding very well now...as time goes on I am gaining power over myself and they are weakening. The only problem now is that they are there and I hate them...I will never accept them.

Raina Walks

Raina Walks

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the hell these voices are...I came up empty....all my ideas were proved incorrect. If they are real people messaging me they are real people that I have to find a way to block contact with because I don't like their message...their messages are disturbing and destructive as are their actions. They hurt me not only mentally but physically too and their verbal assaults can cause me to become very disoriented. I hate hearing voices and wish mine would just go away...far away and never come back.

Raina Walks

Raina Walks

It seems that the voices are different to different people...mine are hell bent on destroying my life.....they destroyed my livelihood already...I cannot work right now and am trying to learn to cope well enough that I can work in spite of them in order to keep my housing.

I have learned to not let them take over and say whatever they want...I have to counter what they say...they get smart and start saying pleasant things sometimes but I now have learned to tell them that I don't need to hear them saying those things I am perfectly capable of thinking them myself without any help from them. I told them I don't need them...I don't like them and am looking for a way to get rid of them. Every day I tell them to go away and now talk back to them no matter what they say to me. If I cannot talk to them I write to them and I am as nasty in my writing as they are in their speaking.

When they are left to talk away they weaken you and you begin to deteriorate so it is important that your voice constantly be heard over the din of their voices. Mine have been pretending that they are leaving for three years now but they are still here. That drove me crazy for a long time but not so much now...now I just continue to fight them and it is a question of who has the most stamina....I don't give up.

S

SuperZ

Of the brain? Or is it meddling spirits/entities; prank/snare, ritual abuse? Theology/divinity not much help.

bert tomato

bert tomato

I think they are method the brain copes with excessive or unusual stresses.I believe we hear the voices loudly because we may have suffered severe mental trauma. I believe that 'normal' people also hear voices - but these are quiet and they intepret them as communication - but this is just an intepretation of a person's personality from the information they have. I still believe that TALKING is the best option, and can clear problems and issues that a person may have. It is real ACTIONS that are important, not perceieved ones or fantasies.

I believe all of this because my voices are quite controllable to an extent. They stem from disrupted thought patterns like weeds growing in a garden. I believe that if we strive for optimal health that we can help ourselves. I also believe that correct medication and rest can aid a suffering person. I believe that believing the voices to be anything else leads to delusions which are even more stressful and a complete nightmare. :)