• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is someone usually aware that things aren't right with psychosis?

R

Rider52

I keep getting vivid dreams, some anxiety, fatigue, and sleep hallucinations. I'm aware that this isn't real.

H

hurghydurdy

So sleep hallucinations are called hypnogogic hallucinations and they aren't linked to psychosis. They are something that anyone can have, especially if you are under a lot of stress, which sounds like it might be the case with the issues you list?

Too much stress can be serious in itself so I would say your body is giving you a message and you should prioritise looking after yourself right now - get rest, stretch, eat healthily (lots of anti-inflammatory foods if you can), take time to do things that relax you.

From what you've written I wouldn't be worried about psychosis beginning. For me I had a period of extreme anxiety and depression (over 9 months of this) before my first episode of psychosis. I was under an extreme amount of pressure and stress and I didn't have any outlet. I didn't look after myself well and just kept pushing and pushing myself. For me personally, I believe my psychosis began as my bodies way of dealing with me becoming suicidal - to stop me from killing myself it persuaded me all the threat was from outside (conspiracy type stuff). Psychosis is very rare so I don't think it's something most people need to worry about but I do advise anyone to take their stress and anxiety seriously - find ways to look after yourself because we all have our limits and prevention is much better than cure :)

H

hurghydurdy

that's interesting, I didn't realise it was a high as that.

I still think that's pretty rare, what do you think?

Mind says in a given week in England 3 in 100 people have clinical depression and its less than 1 in a year who will have a psychotic disorder

C

chargrillwon

Just looked this up on a quick google, and some sources say about 3 in 100 people will experience psychosis at some point in their lives, with it affecting males and females about the same.
I think it might be higher considering everything lately haha