• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Is some out there with Similar Symptoms ?

S

skbhagwan

Hi There --

My wife was diagnosed with schizophrenia about 10 years back. She has classical delusional disorder. She thinks the local police have put our family under house arrest and she has created an imaginary person who she thinks is being appointed by the police to control everyone in this world including me through Hypnosis. According to her this person has the ability to cause diseases ,death and property damage using hypnosis.

She has 0 trust in me since she thinks every word and actions of me are controlled by this imaginary person.

I asked many times to give me the name, location of this imaginary person and every time she says she does not know and does not have an answer when challenged that without evidence you cannot accuse some one who does not even exist of the crimes. She has contacted FBI many times to complain and each time they have ignored her calls sensing that she is sick. She now has plans of visiting local FBI office in person.

She is on anti psychotic drug, Zyprexa for past 10 years and except for 2 years there is no real improvement. Her psychiatrist says the only option now is shock treatment and that cannot be forced on her and she has to volunteer.

Please let me know if anyone out there have seen similar case and have come across patients making full recovery (at least 90% recovery).

Regards,
SK.Bhagwan

W

WH433

Has she tried the older antipsychotics or clozapine? It’s used when the other drugs don’t work.

S

squizofrenia123

I was very delusional without medication. I thought extraterrestrial aliens were in contact with me. I also thought spaceships were visiting me. So this all stopped after being on medication. I take aripiprazole 12-15 mg daily. This works for me. However, I heard it does not work for everybody. I am working now and am independent. I live alone and see the psychdoc once every two months. I was very sick about three years prior since I went off my medication due to psychosis. I was given monthly shots of aripiprazole which did wonders for me. I was on this for a year before being able to recover fully enough to be on my own again. Now, I am working online and am independent. For me, I would rather be alone than with others. I did date occasionally to find lovers but have come to the conclusion that being alone is better for me because I have the freedom to do what I want. So, for me, aripiprazole has helped tremendously. I was also on Zyprexa, risperidone, geodon, clozapine, seroquel, haldol, etc. The only medication that took the hallucinations away totally was zyprexa. Clozapine worked too but I did not like getting weekly blood draws. The other medications had too many side effects.

Abilify- aripiprazole has side effects too but they are minor compared to the other medications. I am slightly overweight and shake at times. I also am tired too throughout the day. But, I feel fine overall. I am working six days a week and am independent. I have kept my job for a year now and am into my second year.

S

skbhagwan

Has she tried the older antipsychotics or clozapine? It’s used when the other drugs don’t work.
We were told it has major side effects and she might develop tremors and may affect her day to day activities. Other than being delusional she is quite functional and carries out day to day function without any issues.

S

skbhagwan

I was very delusional without medication. I thought extraterrestrial aliens were in contact with me. I also thought spaceships were visiting me. So this all stopped after being on medication. I take aripiprazole 12-15 mg daily. This works for me. However, I heard it does not work for everybody. I am working now and am independent. I live alone and see the psychdoc once every two months. I was very sick about three years prior since I went off my medication due to psychosis. I was given monthly shots of aripiprazole which did wonders for me. I was on this for a year before being able to recover fully enough to be on my own again. Now, I am working online and am independent. For me, I would rather be alone than with others. I did date occasionally to find lovers but have come to the conclusion that being alone is better for me because I have the freedom to do what I want. So, for me, aripiprazole has helped tremendously. I was also on Zyprexa, risperidone, geodon, clozapine, seroquel, haldol, etc. The only medication that took the hallucinations away totally was zyprexa. Clozapine worked too but I did not like getting weekly blood draws. The other medications had too many side effects.

Abilify- aripiprazole has side effects too but they are minor compared to the other medications. I am slightly overweight and shake at times. I also am tired too throughout the day. But, I feel fine overall. I am working six days a week and am independent. I have kept my job for a year now and am into my second year.
Thank you for sharing your experience. One question : When/How did you become aware that your thoughts were irrational ? The reason for asking this is, my wife thinks she is right all the time and even goes to the extent that she could prove in a court of law although she has no evidence of the things she claims is happening.

W

WH433

We were told it has major side effects and she might develop tremors and may affect her day to day activities. Other than being delusional she is quite functional and carries out day to day function without any issues.
Personally I’d prefer it over ECT. I already have tremors from abilify and I’ve been on older medication with no side effects. Everyone is different but clozapine has really helped some people and side effects are different for everyone.
As for delusional thoughts, I became aware they were irrational slowly, but over the course of 6 months, if it was taking 10 years I’d have to add more medication on.

S

skbhagwan

Personally I’d prefer it over ECT. I already have tremors from abilify and I’ve been on older medication with no side effects. Everyone is different but clozapine has really helped some people and side effects are different for everyone.
As for delusional thoughts, I became aware they were irrational slowly, but over the course of 6 months, if it was taking 10 years I’d have to add more medication on.
Thank you for your response. I will talk to her doctor and see if it makes any difference. The biggest challenge for me is to make her accept that she has a problem. She absolutely has no compassion and her mind has turned into a stone which I believe is the side effect of taking Zyprexa for a long time. She used to be thin and Zyprexa has made her gain lots of weight especially around the belly area for which she again blames the person she has created in her mind.

I will settle for a condition when she could acknowledge that she has issues and needs help.

She used to dress so well before she fell sick and was always used to talk to her friends express her feelings to me and our son. This imaginary person has managed to hijack everything good in her.

S

squizofrenia123

I realized I was delusional after being told repeatedly by others that I was sick and after being on medication after about a year. I had been off my medication for about a year prior and so it took about a year to recover from psychosis. I lived by myself but close to family. They were afraid of me and did not allow me to live with them for about two years. So, I became more rational after being given monthly shots for a year and with support from my psychdoc and family. If I had no contact with others, it would have been much worse. I am sometimes still delusional although I'm on medication though. However, I tell others about it and am reminded that it is my illness speaking so I realize that I continually need to be on medication and to interact with others to remain stable. I cannot function without medication and know this fact. It is not perfect though as I said because my symptoms pop up here and there occasionally. This is the reason I like working because it keeps my mind off my illness. I don't work much but it is enough to keep me busy. I try not to focus on my illness too much, that is, I try not to think about it too much. I'm doing better now but at times have been down and out due to my illness and not being medicated. So, for me it is vital I take my medication and see the psychdoc and remain somewhat busy.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Hi There --

My wife was diagnosed with schizophrenia about 10 years back. She has classical delusional disorder. She thinks the local police have put our family under house arrest and she has created an imaginary person who she thinks is being appointed by the police to control everyone in this world including me through Hypnosis. According to her this person has the ability to cause diseases ,death and property damage using hypnosis.

She has 0 trust in me since she thinks every word and actions of me are controlled by this imaginary person.

I asked many times to give me the name, location of this imaginary person and every time she says she does not know and does not have an answer when challenged that without evidence you cannot accuse some one who does not even exist of the crimes. She has contacted FBI many times to complain and each time they have ignored her calls sensing that she is sick. She now has plans of visiting local FBI office in person.

She is on anti psychotic drug, Zyprexa for past 10 years and except for 2 years there is no real improvement. Her psychiatrist says the only option now is shock treatment and that cannot be forced on her and she has to volunteer.

Please let me know if anyone out there have seen similar case and have come across patients making full recovery (at least 90% recovery).

Regards,
SK.Bhagwan
Does she live an isolated lifestyle? How are the other aspects of her life and health? AS someone who had a delusion for many years I'll tell you the only thing that helped me was education, time and reflection. It took years to come out of.

I don't want to interfere with your plans but in my opinion ECT isn't that effective. If it was would be all over the news. You can't pluck someone's psychosis out of their brain. What she has is within her personal belief system you need to target that. It's in the subconscious and the subconscious is stubborn.

L

Lab rat

I feel for you op, I really do. The carers have such a hard time. When I’m ill, I have ideas, and I’m always right and god help anyone who challenges me. I hope the medication can help. Keeping busy is important too. And your wife is the only one that can ultimately help herself. We have to challenge the illness and find our own ways to fight it. Cbt can really help. I’m never not doing something, keeping busy is the only thing that helps for me. But there again, I’ve had 30 years to learn to handle mine. It’s a marathon, not a sprint!

S

skbhagwan

Does she live an isolated lifestyle? How are the other aspects of her life and health? AS someone who had a delusion for many years I'll tell you the only thing that helped me was education, time and reflection. It took years to come out of.

I don't want to interfere with your plans but in my opinion ECT isn't that effective. If it was would be all over the news. You can't pluck someone's psychosis out of their brain. What she has is within her personal belief system you need to target that. It's in the subconscious and the subconscious is stubborn.
No she does not. We are family of 3 and thank god having a stable life style. The biggest challenge for her is to accept her condition which refuses to do. A combination of things might have contributed to her condition (which is my assumption). She lost her father and 2 years later our son was diagnosed with Autism and she hit her menopause too early enough to feed her delusional thoughts. With medication her actions are limited to documenting illogical stuff. Before medication things were very bad and she firmly believed that FBI agents are hiding in neighbors house and spying on her. Even now she firmly believes the law enforcement agency is spying on us and believes our house is bugged and they have placed Hidden Cameras all over the house including bathroom. The frustration for us is due to the fact that we are unable to find a proper treatment and we think visiting doctor is waste of time as other than the medication nothing else has worked. The medication she takes, Zyprexa has made her put on lots of weight and she has developed Diabetes and her Lipids are risen very high. She is supposed to exercise regularly but refuses to do so and gives illogical reason for not doing so.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

No she does not. We are family of 3 and thank god having a stable life style. The biggest challenge for her is to accept her condition which refuses to do. A combination of things might have contributed to her condition (which is my assumption). She lost her father and 2 years later our son was diagnosed with Autism and she hit her menopause too early enough to feed her delusional thoughts. With medication her actions are limited to documenting illogical stuff. Before medication things were very bad and she firmly believed that FBI agents are hiding in neighbors house and spying on her. Even now she firmly believes the law enforcement agency is spying on us and believes our house is bugged and they have placed Hidden Cameras all over the house including bathroom. The frustration for us is due to the fact that we are unable to find a proper treatment and we think visiting doctor is waste of time as other than the medication nothing else has worked. The medication she takes, Zyprexa has made her put on lots of weight and she has developed Diabetes and her Lipids are risen very high. She is supposed to exercise regularly but refuses to do so and gives illogical reason for not doing so.
Does she have access to a lot of variation in life? Does she have the ability to express herself creatively? Her talents etc? What she is basically doing is dwelling into a few personal beliefs that she genuinely thinks is real. When I start to dwell and can't get away from my thoughts I shift my focus to other things. I suffer from OCD which is similar to delusional thinking and when I shift my focus my subconscious gives up and I leave off the delusional thoughts.

It's like she has a difference of opinion on an obvious reality and unfortunately she needs to come to her own conviction but you can support her in that task. Maybe explore creative options to allow her to lose that delusion. Try reading a book by someone experienced with dealing with delusions you might get much better results.

The brain grows new neurons when it is challenged and makes fresh connections. It's like a living muscle. It loves new things (novelty). Encourage her brain to make new connections. Give her novelty she might let go of her delusions.

S

ShirleyHart

I have noticed that one thing that these rports have is that there is no going back to 'normal' after leaving hospital. I have been with my wife for 35 years. She is a schizophrenic but in all that time she has had jjust 2 2-week spells in hospital. On each occasion she came home and was back to normal again. This time however she has been in about 8 weeks and there is no sign of improvement. She is 62, and has wild delusions. The psychiatrist is trying different medications and it seems to me he is just going through the motions, stabbing in the dark and hoping for the best.

My question is this: Is it possible someone in her position can ever return to normal or will I have to acept she is now 'someone else'. It feels as though we are now going through a divorce.

soul searching

soul searching

Hi ShirleyHart! Your situation is very upsetting and sad. I'm a 60 year old woman who just pulled out of 2 different delusions lasting about 30 years! Through some terrible misunderstanding, I never got the help I needed. At first, I thought there were cameras following me everywhere and the second I thought a psychic that had been brainwashed was torturing me and that the whole world had been brainwashed to hate me as well. Does your wife have a separate voice in her head?(I did/do)I read a book that quoted the voices of many schizophrenics. They were so similar, sometimes identical to mine. I underlined and reread it many times. The idea that I must be schizophrenic washed over me in kind of a huge shock wave. That is what pulled me out of my delusional state. I am currently in an outpatient group therapy and have started on meds because my voice is too controlling. Maybe you could ask the doctors or search for stories similar to hers. This might help.

L

Lab rat

I have noticed that one thing that these rports have is that there is no going back to 'normal' after leaving hospital. I have been with my wife for 35 years. She is a schizophrenic but in all that time she has had jjust 2 2-week spells in hospital. On each occasion she came home and was back to normal again. This time however she has been in about 8 weeks and there is no sign of improvement. She is 62, and has wild delusions. The psychiatrist is trying different medications and it seems to me he is just going through the motions, stabbing in the dark and hoping for the best.

My question is this: Is it possible someone in her position can ever return to normal or will I have to acept she is now 'someone else'. It feels as though we are now going through a divorce.
Hang in there, hope things get better soon!